Six Interesting Tidbits about Audi A3
- The first electric car from Audi came in the A3 line in the form of Audi A3 E-Tron. It is a battery electric vehicle (BEV) known to take regenerative braking to another level by giving additional control to the driver. Unlike other BEVs, the Audi A3 E-Tron is able to produce the feature of transmission downshifting, making the drive of the model a lot more fun. The release year of the Audi A3 E-Tron is in 2014.
- In the best-selling erotic series Fifty Shades of Grey, the central character, Ana Steele, was given an Audi A3 coupe by her rich boyfriend, Christian Grey. She refers to the A3 as "Submissive Special." Grey also owned a number of Audi vehicles including an R8 Spyder which he used in different occasions throughout the series. It may be expected that these models will appear in the movie adaptation of the novel.
- Janet Hartigan, Sarah Jessica Parker's character in the 2008 flick Smart People, is driving a 2006 A3 Sport Package with xenon headlights as part of its Audi A3 accessories. The movie is about an aging professor's dealings with his adopted brother and children. The film did not do great, however, only bringing in $9.5 million worth of revenue.
- In 2011, Audi launched a promotional video game entitled Asphalt Audi RS 3. It is downloadable and playable through iPod Touches, iPhones, and iPads in a number of countries including Canada. It made quite a buzz as the player with the fastest time in finishing one of its tracks will be able to win a brand new Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI with Audi A3 parts such as Quattro all-wheel drive and BOSE audio.
- Audi A3's third generation is the pioneer model to carry Volkswagen Group's MQB platform. MQB is an abbreviation for the German phrase "Modularer Querbaukasten" which directly translates to "Modular Transverse Matrix." The platform is a standardized system wherein engineering time projected is reduced for up to 30%. This includes decreasing the weight of manufactured cars, further increasing fuel efficiency and cutting cost.
- The 2013 Audi A3 boasts of a lighter weight wherein it is 80 kg (176 lbs) lighter than the previous model. In addition, the chassis of the model has been tuned up to give the vehicle's handling more of a sporty and agile feel.