Audi S8 Parts and Audi S8 Accessories
Some Fun Facts about the Audi S8
- Robert De Niro's 'Ronin' and Jason Statham's 'Transporter' series both used Audi S8s. For Ronin, it was an earlier model Audi S8 4.2 quattro, while for the Transporter movie, a luxury Audi A8, the S8's full-size version, was used. Aside from De Niro and Statham, Kevin Costner and Ben Affleck have also driven or met the Audi S8 in their respective movies.
- The S8, like the A8, is produced using an all-aluminium monocoque, which is dubbed the 'Audi Space Frame' (ASF), and is likewise produced at Audi's Necksarlum plant, known as its 'aluminum plant'.
- The S8 shares a trait common in most of Audi's 'S' series vehicles. It is fitted with Audi's trademark quattro four-wheel drive (4WD). The S8 uses the Torsen-based 4WD system, which is a permanent 4WD system.
- The Audi S8 comes complete with Valcona leather-covered seats. Valcona leather is used on cars in the S8 line. It is described as being more grainy and firmer, which gives a vehicle a more sporty appeal.
- It was introduced into the European market with an initial 6-speed transmission and a 5-speed transmission in later models. The Audi S8 was marketed as a high-performance version of the Audi A8, in the vein of Mercedez-Benz AMG models.
- The 'S' heritage of the S8 can be traced back vaguely in the middle '80s. During these times, the S1 rally car was at the top of its peak. This car rallied in the world rally championships. As far as comparisons go, though, the S8 is nothing like a rally car.
- The Audi S8 has, as one of its innovations, an 'Advanced Parking' system. This refers to the parking system which integrates a rear view camera and an output displayed on a Multi Media Interface (MMI). Both the MMI and the Advanced Parking system are packaged as optional additions to an S8 purchase.
- The S8 was developed as Audi's answer to rival car maker's 'S' lines. These different 'S' lines include the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Lexus' LS, and the Maserati Quattroporte.