Interesting Facts about the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD
- In response to the rapid success of the Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab and the Ford F-150 Super Crew, Chevrolet created the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD, a half-ton truck that had a powerful engine, a spacious cabin, and it can carry up to six passengers.
- Generally, the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is designated as a "light-duty" truck. In 2001, a strengthened version of the Silverado 1500 was introduced, and it was called the Silverado HD or the "heavy duty" truck.
- Three cab length options were designed for the Silverado 1500: a standard 2-door regular cab, an extended 4-door cab, and a front-hinged 4-door crew cab. Also, three cargo bed types were offered for the Silverado 1500 series: the 78.7-inch standard box, a 69.2-inch short box, and the 97.6-inch long box.
- Based on GM's GMT800 platform, the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 truck series offered three engine variants: the Vortec 4300 V6, Vortec 4800 V8, and the Vortec 5300 V8 engine. A more powerful Vortec 6000 V8 engine was added for the 1500 HD series in 2001, followed by a 6.2-liter Vortec V8 engine in 2010.
- With 360-pound per feet of torque at 4,000 rpm, the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD has a maximum payload of 3,000 pounds and towing capacity of over 10,000 pounds. The 1500 HD is a strong competitor in the half-ton truck market due to its tough hauling capabilities.
- Thanks to GM's Quadsteer technology, the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD can steer its rear wheels opposite the front wheels to reduce turning radius while parking. This type of innovative technology makes parking less tiresome. Also, Quadsteer helps improve the 1500 HD's towing function by phasing the rear wheels during higher speeds, which eliminates "tail waggle."
- In 2001, Motor Trend magazine named the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD as its "Truck of the Year. Also, Car and Driver magazine named the Chevrolet Silverado as their "Best Pickup Truck" for the years 2001, 2002, and 2003. The Chevrolet Silverado Heavy Duty series truck was again named as Motor Trend magazine's "Truck of the Year" in 2011.
- Built with a gas tank that can hold up to 26 gallons of fuel, the average combined fuel economy of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD is roughly 15 miles per gallon.