Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Tonneau Cover
Maintenance Tips for the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Tonneau Cover
Tonneau covers for the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 are designed to last a lifetime provided of course that they are cared for properly. Regular maintenance of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 tonneau covers are essential in keeping wear and tear at bay, especially since these covers are constantly exposed to damaging elements. Caring for tonneau cover depends on the type of material it is made of or how it operates. But regardless of whether it is a roll-up vinyl cover or a hardtop, here are some general maintenance pointers to follow for your truck's tonneau covers.
- Make sure to follow the specific cleaning instructions for the particular type of tonneau cover you have in your truck.
A soft tonneau cover, for instance, needs to be cleaned using a special cleaning solution that's different from that used in hardtop covers.
- Allow the water to soak into the tonneau cover for several minutes before adding the cleaning solution.
This will make the stains on the surface of the cover easier to remove as well as help the cover retain its suppleness.
- A scrub brush can be used to remove hardened mud and dirt on the cover, but be sure to use one with soft bristles.
A hard bristled brush might end up scratching the surface of the cover.
- For soft top tonneau covers, it is also recommended to apply a conditioner onto the cover after every wash.
Conditioners help restore the original color and vibrancy of the tonneau cover and provide UV protection.
- Don't forget the mechanical parts!
Aside from the fabric, the mechanical components of the tonneau cover like the rails, rail hinges, and canister have to be cleaned as well. Dirt and mud can accumulate on these parts and impede their operation. You can wash the mechanical components the same way as you would with the tonneau fabric, although make sure to dry them properly afterwards to prevent rust from occurring.
- Tears on the cover fabric?
Get them repaired immediately. A tear that goes unrepaired is likely to get larger over time. And if gets too big, the tear may no longer be repaired and the tonneau cover would eventually need a replacement.