Fun Facts about the Dodge Spirit
- According to Car & Driver, the Dodge Spirit R/T was the fastest four-door sedan in North America back in 1991. Reaching 0 to 60 miles per hour in 5.8 seconds, the Dodge Spirit R/T was even able to beat the 6.4 seconds it took the 1991 BMW M5, one of the leading high-performance cars, to reach 60 miles per hour. Since the Spirit R/T was not really marketed as a big performance vehicle, these figures show that the 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T is actually one of the little-known sleeper cars.
- When the Dodge Spirit was introduced in 1989, it received a warm reception as the replacement for the smaller Dodge Aries and the Dodge Lancer hatchback. With around 60,000 units sold in its first model year, the Dodge Spirit successfully replaced both the Aries and the Lancer in the Dodge lineup.
- The Dodge Spirit was also sold in Mexico but it was rebadged as the Chrysler Spirit, since Mexico mainly associated the Dodge name with trucks back then.
- From 'True Blood' to 'Spiderman 2', the Dodge Spirit has already appeared in over 60 movies and television series. From being a mere background vehicle in popular films like 'Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles' and 'Basic instinct', to being the main character's vehicle of choice in 'Kuffs' and 'Frozen River', the Dodge Spirit has proven to be a very well-liked vehicle in the movie and TV industry.
- The Dodge Spirit, with its Chrysler AA platform, was a derivative of the famous K-platform from Chrysler. The then-popular K-cars, namely the Plymouth Reliant, Chrysler LeBaron, Dodge 400, and Dodge Aries, were front-wheel drive American cars that were able to carry up to six passengers. The six-passenger seating was made possible by the use of a three-seat-per-row bench setup.
- Bolstered in part by its title as America's fastest car of 1991, the Dodge Spirit was named as the "Domestic Sport Sedan of the Year" by Motor Trend magazine. Although it looked more like a typical unassuming sedan compared to the flashier Ford Taurus SHO (Super High Output), it was able to beat the Taurus SHO for both 1991 and 1992.