Fun Facts About the Ford Excursion
- The Ford Excursion may be the biggest SUVs made, but it's not the biggest passenger vehicle. That honor goes to the Ford Crew Cab Long Bed Pickup, which is about two feet longer. The 227-inch Excursion is even smaller in length than the 1970 Imperial and the 1958 Lincoln by only a couple of inches.
- Inside the Ford Excursion, up to eight people can fit in comfortably like they're in a limousine. Plus, with its bench front seat, the whole vehicle can fit up to nine people and will still have almost 50 cubic feet of luggage space behind the third-row seats.
- How huge is the Ford Excursion compared to its competition? It's big enough to dwarf the two top-selling SUVs of its time. With its height of almost 81 inches and width of 80 inches, it can easily beat the GM Yukon XL and the Chevrolet Suburban. Plus, the Ford Excursion 4x4 V-10 version weighs at a huge 7,190 pounds.
- The Ford Excursion's design is based on the super-duty Ford pickup, with a body that rides on the regular cab's chassis and the frame's 137-inch wheelbase. Its body is actually almost identical in length to the Ford Super Duty Super Cab short bed. Instead of having a six-and-a-half foot pickup bed, however, the cab extends all the way to the rear bumper.
- The Ford Excursion was designed to be classified as a heavy-duty vehicle for commercial or rural use and has a gross vehicle rating of over 8,500 lb. Because of this, the SUV was exempted from the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) regulations. It was also exempted from quoting the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) fuel economy estimates.
- Even though it's exempted from revealing its fuel economy, auto experts who gave the Ford Excursion a test drive estimated that the SUV averaged 8/12/10 mpg for city/highway/combined. With a huge fuel tank of 44 gallons, its mileage exceeds expectations.
- The Ford Excursion has been seen in various movies and TV series. In the 2004 movie, Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, for example, Scooby and the gang drove an Excursion Mystery Machine Limousine.