Ford F-250 Nerf Bars
Keeping the Ford F-250 Nerf Bars Safe from Rust and Other Forms of Damage
The Ford F-250 nerf bars are designed to carry some weight as they help passengers get in and out of the vehicle. They’re built to be sturdy and strong. But as years go by, rust can weaken the strong metal bars. When the coating wears down or the bars get dinged, rust may develop and spread all over, eating away at the bare metal. If the nerf bars get rusty, there are some things you can do to stop rust from spreading, keeping the bars in good condition for years to come. Here are some tips:
How to keep the nerf bars clean and shiny
- Choose a polish that’s specifically made for the material or finish of the nerf bars (i.e., chrome polish or stainless steel polish).
- Clean the nerf bars first before polishing. Let them dry thoroughly after washing away the dirt.
- Buff the bars using a buffering pad or a soft rag. Just apply light pressure.
- Allow the polish to dry and then wipe the surface clean with a towel.
How to prevent the spread of rust
Getting rid of rust
- Uninstall the nerf bars from the truck.
- Wipe away grease and dirt until the surface damage is more visible and clearer.
- Remove loose surface rust using a wire brush for rust to come off easily.
- Apply some naval jelly on rusty parts of the nerf bars. You may use a paintbrush or a rag.
- Scrub off the rust using a steel wool or wire brush.
- Dust some baking soda over the naval jelly once the rust has been dissolved. By adding some baking soda, the acid in the naval jelly will be neutralized.
- Remove the neutralized naval jelly by rinsing the nerf bars thoroughly.
- Allow the nerf bars to dry fully before you repaint them.
- Even out the rough spots on the nerf bars using an emery cloth and a wire brush. Remove any rust residue.
- Spray paint one side of the bar at a time.
- Let the paint dry fully before moving on to the other side to prevent smudges.
- Apply up to third coats of spray paint for a more hard-wearing finish.
- Make sure that you paint the bars evenly and that you don’t miss any spot.