GMC Envoy XL Parts and GMC Envoy XL Accessories
Six Things to Know about the GMC Envoy XL
- The GMC Envoy got its name from the French word "envoye" which directly translates to "messenger." The GMC Envoy XL, on the other hand, is an extended version of the standard Envoy SUV with a third seat row to accommodate more passengers. The nameplate started as a commemoration to the luxury trim of GMC Jimmy, an earlier SUV model from the make.
- The GMC Envoy XL received considerable number of awards and recognitions from automobile critics throughout its production years such as Motor Trend's Sport/Utility of the Year for 2002. It also made its way to different lists including the 2005 IntelliChoice Top Ten Lowest Maintenance Cost in Class List and Consumer Guide's Recommended Buy for years 2003 and 2004.
- In 2005, luxury trims of the standard GMC Envoy and GMC Envoy XL were unveiled-the GMC Envoy Denali and GMC Envoy Denali XL respectively. The introduction of these trims is considered a crucial step forward in producing more comfortable and luxurious SUVs. The GMC Envoy Denali XL was also praised for its smooth handling and quiet cabin. It can also tow 6,100 lbs of cargo.
- The GMC Envoy XL made a cameo appearance in the 2010 feature-length documentary The Parking Lot Movie. The film revolves around a group of parking lot attendants who are faced with different customers that range from drunk, rude, vandals, and cheapskates. The movie shows how the attendants examine different aspects of human behavior.
- General Motors made various versions of the GMC Envoy line with the process called badge engineering. This means that the design and engineering of the GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, and Envoy XUV were reproduced under different makes. The Envoy made way for the Chevrolet TrailBlazer, Saab 9x7, Isuzu Ascender, Oldsmobile Bravada, and Buick Ranier.
- The GMC Envoy XL was discontinued in 2006 when the Oklahoma City Assembly plant closed in February 20, 2006. The Envoy XL was replaced with the GMC Acadia in 2007. The Acadia proves to be a ground-breaking model as it is the first crossover SUV from GMC as well as the make's first vehicle with a unibody frame.