Honda Civic Del Sol Parts and Honda Civic Del Sol Accessories
Seven Amazing Things about the Honda Civic del Sol
- The Honda Civic del Sol got its name from the Honda Civic compact, from which its platform is based on, and the Spanish phrase “del Sol” or “from the sun” as reference to the roadster’s removable roof.
- Contrary to popular belief, the Honda Civic del Sol is not a convertible but a targa top. Like most targas, the del Sol has a removable hardtop, a retractable rear window, and a full roll bar behind the seats for added support. The hardtop can be stored inside the trunk, reducing the trunk space by 3 cubic feet.
- Although it uses the platform of the Honda Civic, the del Sol is actually the successor of the Honda CR-X sports compact car. Because of this, the del Sol is marketed in Europe as the CR-X del Sol, although this was eventually dropped in later models.
- Del Sol roadsters sold in Europe and Japan can also be fitted with the TransTop, which is an electric mechanism that allows the roof to retract into the trunk with just a push of a button. The roof is activated by flicking two catches above the windows and then pressing down the button, causing the trunk lid to rise vertically and two arms to extend into the targa top. Once the arms lock into the lid, it pulls down the targa down inside the trunk. The process is reversed when the targa top is raised back up.
- Production and sale of the del Sol was very limited, beginning in 1992 and ending in 1998, with a total of less than 75,000 roadsters sold in America. Today, the del Sol retains a small, but energetic following in street and racing enthusiasts.
- Del Sol roadsters marketed to the US were not offered with limited slip differentials.
- Partly because of its unique look, the Civic del Sol was a popular prop in popular TV shows and films. TV shows such as Malcolm in the Middle, Roswell, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and the Sopranos featured various del Sol models, while a 1993 del Sol was featured as one of the racecars in the hit racing film The Fast and the Furious.