Five Things to Know About the Jaguar XJ8
- The British luxury vehicle Jaguar XJ8 has been featured in two James Bond movies along with other high-end, automobile names like the Land Rover and British Leyland. The XJ8 appeared in Casino Royale in 2006 and Quantum of Solace in 2008. Although James Bond didn't own a Jaguar XJ8 in the movie, the main antagonist in Casino Royale, Le Chiffre, owns one.
- The Jaguar XJ8's aluminum superstructure gave it a distinct advantage over its established European competitors. The XJ8 model with a 3.5 engine is lighter because it only weighed 1,615 kg, compared to the Benz S350 and BMW 735i that weighed 1,810 kg and 1,950 kg respectively. This innovation placed the Jaguar brand back into the mix in the stiff competition of luxury cars.
- The term "Vanden Plas" that was used as the trim line of the Jaguar XJ8, came from an interesting history. Vanden Plas was actually the name of a Belgian company of coachbuilders in the late 1800s. The company's name later on became the designation for top-end luxury models from the British Leyland and the Rover Group. The etymology of the word came from the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium. The literal translation of Vanden Plas is "of the pond," and its pronunciation includes the "s" at the end, rather than omitting it because of the usual misconception.
- One of the perks of having a Jaguar XJ8 is the wireless Homelink Control System. This means that you don't have to open the garage door anymore when you are entering or leaving your driveway. Another one is the picnic table at the back of the front seats, just like in an airplane. However, the picnic table is only available for the Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas and the Super 8 trim lines.
- The Jaguar XJ8 is included in the Mark III series, aka X350, of the automobile brand. Aside from the XJ8, the series includes other models like the XJ8, XJR and Super V8. Although there are only very slight differences on how these vehicles look, the type of engine is what sets them all apart. Ford, the American automobile company, has contributed greatly in the creation of the series, particularly the XJ8.