Jeep CJ7 Soft Top
Care and Maintenance Tips for Jeep CJ7 Soft Top
The soft top in the Jeep CJ7 allows you to enjoy the wind and the sun when driving and protects you once the clouds come rolling in. But whenever the soft top is up, it's also exposed to dirt, mud, brake dust, and other undesirables from the road. Fortunately cleaning and maintaining Jeep CJ7 soft tops are relatively easy and require only a few simple tools to accomplish.
The following are some maintenance guidelines to follow for soft tops of Jeep CJ7s:
- What's your soft top made of?
How to clean the soft top in your Jeep CJ7 depends mainly on whether it is made of vinyl or canvas. Vinyl tops have different maintenance requirements than canvas tops and vice versa, and using the wrong procedure or cleaning products may lead to a ruined soft top and an expensive repair bill.
- If your Jeep has a vinyl top, you can wash it with water and vinyl top cleaner.
Let the water and cleaner solution soak into the vinyl - the dirtier the top, the longer the cleaner should sit - and scrub in a circular motion using a nylon brush. Make sure to rinse thoroughly afterwards. It is also recommended to apply protectant to vinyl soft tops after every wash to prevent them from yellowing.
- When cleaning canvas tops, use mild detergent mixed with water and scrub the dirty areas in a circular motion.
Rinse off all the remaining detergent and apply rubber preservative in order to restore their vibrancy.
- Inspect the soft top for signs of wear and damage on a regular basis.
Even a small crack and tear can grow bigger over time if not addressed quickly. Keep an eye out for cracks and scratches for vinyl soft tops, while for canvas tops, tears and fraying are common warning signs of wear.
- Make sure to dry out the soft top when it gets wet from rain or from washing.
A damp soft top will quickly accumulate mold and mildew, which not only looks ugly but also damages the material.
- Avoid using hard-bristled brushes when cleaning soft tops.
These can also leave scratches on the surface of the top.