Fun Facts about Jeep Grand Cherokee
- It seems like the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a popular choice for a "first" personal car of many prominent personalities. Who are these people? One of them is no other than President Barack Obama. He bought a Grand Cherokee in 2000. It was his first new car. The Cherokee was also Leonardo DiCaprio's first car. He bought it when he was 18.
- The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is billed as the most awarded SUV of all time. From the time of its introduction, it has won 30 major recognitions from prestigious automotive organizations and media groups. Some of the notable awards are: Consumers Digest's Best Buy, Insurance Institute for Highway safety's Top Safety Pick, msn.Autos' Safest Car in America, and Ruedas ESPN's Best SUV.
- The Jeep Grand Cherokee was the first Jeep vehicle produced under the manufacturer's name Chrysler. The company continued dveloping the said vehicle after it was bought from American Motors (AMC) in 1987.
- In 1992, the Ford Explorer was selling like hotcakes. Chrysler developed the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the ultimate goal of competing against the Explorer. To be at par with the Explorer, the Grand Cherokee got bigger, wider, and more luxurious than its predecessor Cherokee. But the unique thing about it is the monocoque-body construction, which is better than the Explorer's body-on-frame design.
- In Brazil, A Jeep Grand Cherokee has a hefty price tag of $89,500. No, it doesn't have gold-plated rims, nor crystals and gems. It comes in standard/basic version. Its price skyrocketed due to import requirements and taxes. If the buyer lives in America, he can already buy three Grand Cherokees with his $89,500.
- All Jeep Grand Cherokee models, regardless of their version or trim levels, have the unique seven-slot grille. According to www.jeep.com, "It's the calling card for the ultimate off-road vehicle."
- The Jeep Grand Cherokee's popularity even made it to the gaming world. It appeared in the Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit as a blue traffic vehicle/car along with Jeep Comanche.
- The first electric version of the Jeep Grand Cherokee is already on its way. In the first half of 2012, Amp Electric Vehicles, a world-renowned manufacturer of electnonic cars made an announcement about its plan to produce the Jeep Grand Cherokee parts. Production and assembly will start by early 2013.