Jeep Wrangler JK Parts and Jeep Wrangler JK Accessories
6 Cool Things to Know about the Jeep Wrangler JK
- The name JK doesn’t have any exact meaning. When Wrangler became part of the Jeep family in 1987 as a replacement for the CJ Series, engineering codes were used as a name for the earlier-generation Wranglers, the YJ and the TJ. The JK, however, didn’t follow this sequence or trail. Under Chrysler’s engineering series code, the next-generation Wrangler that would be released for the 2007 model year was supposed to be called the TK. But because this didn’t have any “J” in its code name, the team eventually settled with calling it JK, which was purely random.
- The earlier Jeep models were given names that followed an engineering code series YJ and TJ and initials MJ, which means Military Jeep, and CJ, which stands for Civilian Jeep. While JK appeared random and just a way for the team to insert “J” in the name, some people would like to think of JK as an initial or abbreviation for “Jeep King.”
- The JK was the first among all the Jeep Wranglers to feature computer software control. The software can run the lights and auxiliary systems, engine, transmission, and, to some degree, even the brakes. Various vehicle functions, other than steering, were computer controlled in this Wrangler.
- The JK, initially released for the 2007 model year, introduced a redesign for the Wrangler and came up with a four-door option, as opposed to the usual two-door design of its predecessors. The body styles of the earlier YJ and TJ were limited to a 2-door convertible and a 2-door SUV. When the JK was launched as a next-generation Wrangler, it added a 4-door convertible and 4-door SUV to the usual lineup.
- With the release of the JK model, the Wrangler introduced new features and a lot of firsts. Power windows and remote power door locks were first seen in this model, along with the navigation system. Modified tail lamps were among the big changes. The JK was, in fact, the first generation of Wranglers to have this feature.
- Even with other utility vehicles on the market, the JK stands out because of its uniqueness. It was even more popular than its predecessors and was way ahead of them even in terms of sales.