Seven Interesting Facts about the Lotus Elise
- Based on the Series 1, a special edition Elise was released by Lotus in 2000. Badged as the 340R, this model was roofless and powered by a buffed Rover K-Series engine. The name originally stood for the power-to-weight ratio of the said vehicle. However, after it was launched, the name was used to indicate the total number of 340R units produced-340.
- In 2005, the first Lotus Elise was made available to car enthusiasts in the United States. However, due to a report filed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the 2005 Elise was given a three-year exemption because it did not comply with the US headlight and bumper standards.
- To boost its sales in the so-called lifestyle market, Lotus released fifty special edition Elises. Called the California Edition, 25 of the vehicles under this package were painted Ardent Red, while the other 25 were colored Saffron Yellow. Interior-wise, the California Edition featured two-toned leather. The other notable attributes of this package were the 16-spoke wheels and silver front grille.
- The Lotus Elise is known worldwide for its superb overall performance. In fact, some of its noteworthy recognitions include the Best Sports Car in 2004 from BBC's Top Gear Magazine, Autocar's Best Driver's Car in 2001, and UK Horizons TV's Car of the Year in 2003.
- In the car racing video game series Need for Speed, the Lotus Elise 111R is featured as a mid-engine roadster. With its low weight and excellent performance, this vehicle is hailed by gamers and Need for Speed alike as one of the best-performing cars in the game.
- Want to know where the name Elise came from? When the Lotus Elise was launched, the chairman of the company was Italian entrepreneur Romano Artioli. To honor his granddaughter Elisa, Artioli decided to name the vehicle line after her.
- To celebrate Lotus' 50th year, a special edition Lotus Elise was launched in 1998. It featured a metallic green paint job that is coupled to two-toned (green and beige) leather seats and special decals. Only 50 units of this model were released, and to show its uniqueness, a certificate of authenticity was issued with every purchase.