Mazda 6: Six Interesting Facts, 10 Years of Innovations
- Introduced in 2002, the Mazda 6 or Mazda Atenza is one of the best-selling vehicle lines of the manufacturer. In fact, it has already sold more than one million units, therefore earning it the recognition of being the fastest Mazda model to reach this million-mark sales milestone.
- A special high-performance version of the Mazda 6 was launched in 2002 at the Paris Motor Show. It was equipped with a turbocharged 2.3-L MZR I4 engine that could generate as much as 270 hp and 280 lbft of torque. What's more, according to Car and Driver, this vehicle line could reach 60 mph in just 5.4 seconds.
- The Mazda 6 is recognized by many car owners and enthusiasts around the world as a high-performance vehicle. So it's no surprise that this vehicle has been entered in various race series since it was introduced. Some of the notable races that the 6 participated in are the KONI Challenge Series Sport Touring Class under the Baglieracing Team and the NASCAR Corona Series. At present, it is competing in the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge under the GTS class.
- Introduced in 2012 at the Moscow Motor Show, the all-new Mazda 6 is the first in the 6 line to be equipped with the i-stop and i-ELOOP electrical devices. As parts of the idling stop and brake energy regeneration system respectively, these devices are geared towards saving fuel for better mileage.
- Want to know how to differentiate a Mazda 6 from a 3 just by looking at it? With its distinct and sporty emblem, grill, and fenders that slightly resemble those installed on the RX-8, one can easily spot a 6. On the other hand, the 3 has a smaller body that is highlighted by a gaping front grill and headlights that look like a smiling child.
- The success of the Mazda 6 can't only be traced by looking at its impressive sales and years of innovations. It can also be seen by taking note of its various appearances in films and television shows worldwide. Some of its noteworthy cameos are in Top Gear, Motorweek, Hall Pass, Enchanted, and My Name is Earl.