Mercedes Benz 240D Parts and Mercedes Benz 240D Accessories
Little-known Facts about the Mercedes Benz 240D
- Mercedes Benz 240D is known as the most durable among all the diesel-powered units offered by the brand. It was manufactured from 1974 to 1985, with the year 1981 considered as its most successful production year when it sold more than 73,000 units all over the world.
- When Mercedes Benz launched its 240D model, it was introduced as the grandest and most expensive model ever released by the brand at the time. The 240D model was marketed at $7,712 when it was first launched in 1973, which was said to be four times more than any other car model built in the whole of Europe and the United States. By 2010, prices shot up to about $34,000 per unit.
- Most of the 240Ds are used as taxis in various countries in Eastern Europe, Africa, and the Middle East because of its durability. And since it is known to be the sturdiest model among all Mercedes Benz models, most of the 240Ds were still functional 25 years after the brand officially stopped its mass production in the United States (1983) and Germany (1985).
- In the beginning, the 240D can only produce 65 horsepower and could not go over 160 kilometers most of the time. Still, it was considered as the fastest car at the time. And after some significant changes in the 1976 model year, manufacturers made the engine capable of cranking out 72 horsepower.
- It was initially announced that the Mercedes Benz 240D can only run for about 400,000 miles without requiring repairs or a major overhaul. However, in 2004, a Greek man known as Gregorio Sachinidis set the record for driving his 240D to more than 2.8 million miles from the year 1976.
- At the time it was first introduced, the Mercedes Benz 240D was known as the most luxurious model in the market. It boasted of a number of unique features such as heated leather seats, cruise control, and a powered sunroof, which was a great feat in the late 1970s when most vehicles did not feature a lot of embellishments and only focused on giving a high-quality performance.