Mercedes Benz 500sl Parts and Mercedes Benz 500sl Accessories
Fun Facts about the Mercedes Benz 500SL
- The Mercedes Benz 500SL belongs to the Mercedes Benz SL class, a grand tourer that was manufactured by Mercedes since 1954. The term SL-Class stands for the marketing variations of the vehicle which includes its different engine configurations that lasted for six design generations. The SL designation stands for the German word, Sport Leicht or Sport Lightweight. This designation was first used on the Mercedes Benz 300SL which was called 'Gullwing' because of its gullwing or upward-opening doors.
- The Mercedes Benz 500SL was built during the 1980 model year based on the R107 platform. In the 1990s, another version of the 500SL's model was built based on the next generation R129 platform. And for the last Mercedes Benz 500SL models that were built between 2003 and 2005, the platform used was the R230 platform.
- The Mercedes Benz 500SL that was based on the R230 platform is equipped with a 5.0-liter V8 motor engine. This V8 engine that redlines at 6,000 rpm produces 302 hp at 5,600 rpm and 339 ft.-lbs. of torque at 2,700 rpm. This model takes pride for its top gear acceleration of just 3.4 seconds from 30 to 50 mph and 4.0 seconds from 50 to 70 mph. It also has an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph and can run a quarter-mile in just 14.3 seconds at 99 mph.
- When the SL and SLC models were presented at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1980, the models looked almost impossible to tell apart from the previous ones. The interiors including steering wheel were designed to look like the 126-series S-Class. They also had the same level of engineering.
- The Mercedes Benz 500 SL made the most headlines among the other SL base models that came out in 1990. The 1990 500 SL powered by a 322 hp 5.0-liter engine has impressed consumers with its high specifications including electric windows, mirrors, seats, and roofs.
- The sixth generation of the Mercedes Benz 500SL has an optional glass panel in the folding magnesium roof called Magic Sky. The Magic Sky is electrochromic which allows the vehicle occupants to create opacity or transparency whenever they want. The wiper blades of 500SL also have a row of opposing washer jets that were built-in to squirt in switching direction while the blades reverse their motion. This feature called Magic Vision Control prevents the vehicle's passengers from getting soaked when it's screenwashing with the roof down.