Six Interesting Facts on the Mercedes Benz E350
- The E in the E350's name stands for the German word Einspritzmotor to signify it has an engine with a fuel injection system. The people at Mercedes Benz used the letter to distinguish these special models from the rest of their lineup. When the first E-Class cars came out in the 50s, this technology was still a novelty. Nowadays, fuel injection is common but the E stays for the sake of its legacy.
- If the Mercedes Benz E350 was sold between the 50s up to the early part of the 80s, the car would've been called the 350E: the numbers describe the size of its engine (about 3.5L) and the E for the fuel injection technology. It wasn't until the later part of the 80s that the company decided to shake things up and transfer the placement of the letter from end to the beginning which is how it is today.
- When the E350 was released, it also came to the world at a time when pollution and global warming concerns were at a steady rise. Mercedes Benz responds to this by introducing two environmentally oriented innovations to their cars: BlueEFFICIENCY and BlueTEC. Both technologies specialize in ways to save energy, limit the amount of expelled pollution, and harness other sources of power. With these innovations, there might come a time when the E in E350 is recognized as Environmental.
- With high-profile people riding the E350, it's only natural to have a trim of the car that specializes in security and safety. In that regard, some models of the car were fitted with the E-Guard package. This includes an armored body, reinforced windows, improved suspensions, special wheels, and many more.
- Though classified as a luxury vehicle, the E350 and the rest of other E-Class models are used across multiple countries for multiple purposes. In most countries, it's a recognized executive vehicle. Other applications elsewhere include ones used as an ambulance or as a police car. In some Asian countries, old models from past generations are used as taxis
- Before the E350 was officially released, Mercedes Benz teased a version of it to the public by featuring it in the blockbuster film Men in Black II. The car was used as the official car of the secret agents tasked to patrol aliens in the streets of New York City. Painted in a glossy black finish, trimmed with lavish furnishings, and moving with such elegance, it was the perfect vehicle to accompany the secretive and effective agents portrayed in the movie.