|Finding a brand new marketsegment is a dream of most automobile manufacturers. It means that, for awhile at least, you have the market all to yourself. One of the mostnotable examples of this is the Chrysler minivan. In 1983, Chrysler unveiledthe 1984 Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager to an eager public who couldn't getenough of these practical vehicles. The minivan all but replaced thestation wagon in the driveways across America. Chryslerhad the market to themselves for a number of years with the competitionscrambling to come out with a me-too product. |
Toyota now thinks that they have found that elusive new market segment with the newMatrix. A new market segment means that there is no competition, but inthe Matrix's case, I can find a few vehicles that fit the same profile.
The Matrix is, what Toyota calls "a crossover vehicle", combiningthe utility of a SUV with the comfort and easy handling of a stationwagon. Its off-road ability is limited, but then most SUV's rarely gooff-road, with families using them to ferry the kids to school or go to themarket. All that tough all-terrain hardware goes to waste, as does theextra gas that is required to lug all that extra weight around. Other disadvantagesinclude: high step-in height due to the added ground clearance, less agilehandling due to the high center of gravity, and considerably less storage spacethen a minivan.
The Matrix is built on the new for 2003 Corolla platform which is anexcellent start. From there, they added a host of convenience featuresdesigned to endear these little gems into the hearts of American families acrossthe fruited plains.
Aside from the controversial, love it or hate it styling, these vehicles areperfect for young single people and new budding families. There's room forfive (not all full grown please) with plenty of nifty storage areas for things youcan't leave behind.
Truck based SUV vs. Car Based SUV, propensity to roll over
110 volt power outlet
Clickhere for more pictures of the Matrix
How would I improve this car?
- Larger fuel and temperature gauges would be nice
- Add automatic headlights. I'm surprised that they weren't included in this package.
- Add another 20 HP and I may buy one. This is my kind of car.
How does the Matrix fit yourdriving style?
Conservative drivers This is a good riding car that gives you the feeling of being connected with the road. This is a difficult combination to achieve and inspires confidence.
Sporty drivers will enjoy the European feel and smooth power delivery that does not compromise the comfortable ride. You'll also enjoy shifting the 5-speed automatic for yourself when the mood strikes.
Fast drivers will run out of tire grip early on. Aftermarket 17" wheels and fatter rubber will help, but at the expense of the ride.
|Engine Type || 90 degree V6, Double overhead camshaft, 5 valves per cylinder, |
Cast iron block, Aluminum heads
|Horsepower ||190 @ 6000 RPM |
|Torque ||206 @ 3200 RPM |
|Fuel Recommended ||Premium 91 Octane Unleaded. |
|Transmission (std.) |
|5-speed manual transaxle |
Electronically controlled 5-speed automatic with Tiptronic
|Tires - Standard || P205/55 R 16 H all weather tires |
|Overall Length ||185.2" |
|Wheelbase ||106.4" |
|Width ||68.7" |
|Steering turns ||2.80 Lock to Lock |
|Turning Diameter ||37.4 ft Curb to Curb |
|Curb Weight ||3,333 lbs. (Manual), 3,452 lbs. (Automatic) |
|Fuel Tank ||16.4 Gals. |
|Miles Per Gallon ||EPA city 20, hwy 29 (Manual), city 18, hwy 26 (Automatic) |
|Acceleration 0 to 60 ||8.8 Seconds |
|Base Sticker Price (GLX) ||$28,750 |
2001.5 Volkswagen Passat GLX 2.8L V6
- Power glass sunroof
- Rain sensor, automatic wipers
- Heated windshield washer nozzles
- Automatic climate control Air Conditioning
- Multi function trip computer
- Genuine wood decor
- Monsoon Sound System 8-speakers with amplifier
- Driver and front passenger side airbags
- Side Curtain Air Bags
- 8-way driver and front passenger power seats, driver with 3 memory positions
- Heatable front seats
- Homelink with sun visor extension
- Leather seating surfaces
- ABS (anti-lock braking system)
- ASR (Anti-Slip Regulation)
- EDL (Electronic Differential Lock)
- 10 year/100,000 mile (whichever occurs first) Limited Powertrain Warranty.
- 2 year/24,000 mile (whichever occurs first) Limited New Vehicle Warranty.
- limited corrosion warranty of 12 years with no mileage restrictions.
- 2 year/24,000 mile (whichever occurs first) no charge scheduled manufacture's maintenance
- 2 year/unlimited distance 24-hour roadside assistance provided by AAA..
Major Available Options
- Electronically controlled 5-speed Automatic Transmission with Tiptronic $1,075
- 4MOTION permanent all-wheel drive system $1,750
- In-dash single CD player (dealer installed)
- 6 disc CD-changer, trunk mounted (dealer-installed)
For more information on the Passat, visit vw.com
Copyright 2017, SmartTrac Computer Systems, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.