Volvo 740 Parts and Volvo 740 Accessories
Quick Fun Facts about the Volvo 740
- The Volvo 740 was part of the Volvo 700 series-a range of mid-size cars manufactured by Volvo Cars in the 80s and 90s. It was joined by two other vehicle models such as the 760 (released two years before the 740) and the 780 (launched two years after the 740 was introduced to the market). The 700-made as a replacement for the 200 series-was eventually replaced by the 900 series in the early 1990s.
- The 700 series was designed by the legendary Jan Wilsgaard-Volvo's chief designer at that time. He was named as one of the top car designers of the 20th century along with other famous names in the automotive world like Giorgetto Giugiaro, Giovanni Michelotti, Leonardo Fiovaranti, Ercole Spada, and more.
- The 4 in the Volvo 740 was once used to signify its four-cylinder engine. But aside from this, it was also given other names like the Volvo 745 for the five-door station wagon and the Volvo 744 for the four-door sedan.
- 1993 was the final model year of the Volvo 740. It came with several changes including the replacement of the mechanical engine cooling fan by an electric fan. Additionally, the 740-along with other 1990-92 Volvo 700-series cars-was considered as one of the most reliable four-door passenger sedans of its era because of two reasons: one, it only has a few engineering limitations; two, it has an excellent build quality.
- The Volvo 940-introduced in September 1990-was basically a 740. Although the rears in the 940 sedans are different, the vehicles' chassis, transmission, engine, and other details were identical to the 740. Aside from these, these car models also have the same drivetrain options, dashboard, and sheet metal that came from the A-pillar forward.
- When it comes to car safety, the Volvo 740 was one of the most dependable vehicles at that time according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety or IIHS. As a matter of fact, it had the second lowest driver fatality rate in the United States back in 1994, which makes it the ideal car for small families.