Choosing the Best-Fitting Bikini Top for Your Jeep
The ultimate outdoor experience is the one that makes you feel the wind on your skin, smell the earth beneath you, hear the rush of the flowing river. For this kind of adventure, no other car suits best than a jeep; an open vehicle that lets you see and feel all that surrounds you. However, there will be times when you would need protection from weather factors like extreme heat and pouring rain. That's what a bikini top is for. It provides a canopy that shields you from sunlight and rainfall.
There's not so much difference between selecting a polka-dot bikini and choosing a bikini top for your jeep. Both require proper body type, size, and style. Here are some useful tips on how to find the best jeep bikini top:
Getting the size that fits the jeep's body
- Start with the very basic-take note of the specifications and requirements of the jeep before buying a bikini top. The crucial part is the size and dimension of the windshield because you need to attach the top to it. There are jeeps with built-in slots where plastic clips from the fabrics can be easily inserted. For those without, it's required to buy a windshield channel.
- Know the type of jeep that you have. This makes the buying process a whole lot easier. There are bikini tops that are made as direct fit for specific vehicle types or models. Do you have a Wrangler CJ-7? CJ-5? Find that info in the catalogue if the top you're buying can fit the jeep model that you own.
Getting the style that serves the purpose
- Header style- As the name implies, it only provides shade for the driver. This style is great for those who often carry bulky stuff for camping, trekking, or surfing. Since the rear part has no walls, there is bigger space for cargo.
- Safari style- The top covers not just the driver's seat but extends up to the rear part of the vehicle. This is a great buying option if other passengers ride with you during your trips. It also keeps your stuff dry in case it rains.
- Strapless style- This is the most neat-looking of all styles. The top is almost tailored to fit perfectly to the vehicle. There are no messy straps because the top is mounted to the sports bars. If aesthetics is what you aim for, this is for you.
- Traditional style- The classic one. This fits even the old jeep models. If you want to keep the old school styling of your 1951-1963 Jeep M38A1 or 1955-1975 CJ-5, retain its strap-buckle bikini top.
- For fabrics, always choose those with high protection against UV rays and resistance to mildew. A good fabric can also stay intact no matter how cold or hot the temperature is.
- Choose a color that complements your jeep.
Vehicle Maintenance: How to Install a Bikini Top
For those who drive heavy-duty jeeps, a bikini top is a must, especially during summer season. This provides ample shade so you won't burn from the scorching heat of the sun. It also serves as protection from rains. See, a bikini top is not just a girl thing.
Prep up your muscles and get ready. This is how you install a traditional bikini top on your jeep.
Difficulty level: Moderate
Here are the tools you'll need:
- Bikini top
- Phillips screwdriver
Step 1: Drape the bikini top over the jeep according to your desired position. Connect the plastic strips sewn across each side of the cloth to the slots located on the windshield. Make sure that all sides of the cloth are lying equally.
Step 2: Find the longest strap of the bikini top and wrap it around the roll bar. The roll bar is the metal tube that is bolted to the floor and extends all up to the roof's level.
Step 3: Take the straps from the rear forward up to the hook in the middle of the windshield. Wrap the strap around the seatbelt assembly. Insert the strap once again to its buckle and pull to tighten it.
Step 4: Repeat the same procedure for the other side of the bikini top.
Step 5: Take all of the straps and wrap them around the roll bar. Make sure to tighten them all around the bar.
Step 6: Find the Velcro straps sewn at the top corners of the front end of the top. Fasten them to each other. Tighten the front part of the bikini top really well to prevent them from flapping while you're driving.
It is better if you will install a bikini top on a warm day so that the fabric won't contract. You may also notice that the fabric has marks and creases from being folded for a while. Don't worry. After a few days, they would all disappear.