A Guide to Buying the Best Exhaust Mounting Kit
So you're looking for an exhaust mounting kit. However, you aren't sure what it is and you only know its name because of an offhand mention from your dealership's in-house mechanic. An exhaust mount or bracket kit is a kit that helps prop up, protect, and stabilize your vehicle's exhaust system. It's a gasket and miscellaneous fastener type of product that serves as your insulator, hanger, and extra hardware "armor" for your "sensitive" exhaust system. It could be a stud kit or it could be complete workshop of tools and parts for instant DIY exhaust reinforcement.
Shopping Dos and Don'ts
Here are some dos and don'ts when buying your own exhaust mounting kit.
- DO make sure you specify the make and model of your vehicle. As with any car part that you have to buy for yourself rather than having to depend on your dealership to take care of the details, you'll need to specify the make, model, and year of your car when buying to ensure you get only the right kit.
- DON'T be fooled into thinking that more is better. More tools and more parts don't necessarily mean they are better products or cost-effective ones. Do you need all those tools to put up your exhaust mount? Perhaps the cheaper package with fewer items and spare parts are more for your speed. Extra features don't automatically mean a better use for your money, especially if you won't be using a majority of those installation tools.
- DO go with the kit that best fits your experience level in performing automotive DIY repair. Sometimes, paying for more is better but only if you yourself aren't well-versed in installing the mount. There are gearheads out there who could make their own exhaust mount with their eyes closed. All the special tools needed to get that mount and bracket up is already in their toolbox. For novices, a more complete kit full of studs, bolts, and nuts for manifold replacement makes a lot more sense.
- DO buy the product with a long warranty and money-back guarantee. When shopping online, your default reaction should be to get a lifetime warranty or one-year warranty kit with a 30-day money back guarantee. This will save you money and it's a more practical way to shop.
- DO shop around to find the best deal. If you want to get the best value for your bucks, you'd better take your time to shop around and compare products. Also, check if there are promo codes available to even enjoy discounts.
In a Nutshell
Your car's exhaust system is designed to remove combustion byproducts of your engine and venting it out of the car through the exhaust pipe without affecting the driver and passengers of the vehicle in question. As such, the mount for your exhaust system should be able to support that goal and reduce or silence its noise by giving it a more stable frame and housing. A mount kit in particular is handy because it allows you to install, reinstall, and reinforce the mount at any time.