Choosing the Right Load Bar to Help Maximize Your Car's Space
Planning for a family camping trip can be really stressful. You have to choose a good location, list down your activities, and finally, check your car's condition. To help you carry the things you need, a load bar can be attached on top of your car. Read this article to know how to select the right load bar.
Key points to check when buying a load bar
You can purchase a load bar with just a few clicks online. Although it's very convenient, it can be costly if you failed to review the specs. Here's a list to help you make a good decision.
Most load bars sold in the market today measure from 48 to 78 inches. The longer the load bar, the more you can add attachments. The first thing you should do is determine the length of your car's roof with the load bar that you want to buy. Both measurements should be within the same range.
You will find the most common shapes of a load bar are square and circle. Any of the two is already a good choice, but there's an elliptical shaped load bar that reduces noise and looks sleek. However, this type of a load bar can be more expensive.
A load bar can be made from either steel or aluminum. These materials are both durable, but steel is heavier between the two. Keep this in mind because the load bar adds weight to your vehicle, plus the things you still have to place on top of it. To give more appear to your vehicle, you can choose a silver or black finish.
You don't need to spend too much time installing a load bar on your car. Look for a load bar that is easy to install, and which doesn't require drilling.
Other tips you should note down
- The load bar is just the base for your roof rack. You should know what you want to put on top of it because you still need attachments for bicycles, kayaks/canoes, or boxes.
- Check if the load bar you want already contains end caps. This may still add up to your bill if you buy them separately.
- To secure the load bar placed on top of your car, there are keys designed to lock it in place.
- If you're on a tight budget, you can have a durable load bar for $143.
Mount That Load Bar in Less Than an Hour
Whether you want to spend your vacation at the beach or in a snow cabin, your car has to be ready with the things you'll bring like a bicycle or a snowboard. These wouldn't fit inside your car's trunk, and they'll get messed up on your truck's cargo area. A load bar for your car is the best solution. Learn how to install a load bar in less than an hour with these easy steps.
Difficulty level: Easy
- Soft cloth
- Tape measure
- New load bars
Step 1: Park your car on a level surface, and engage the parking brake.
Step 2: Measure the length and width of your car's roof. The load bar's length and width has to be within the same range. Otherwise, discontinue the installation.
Step 3: Open the box containing the load bars. Check if all the items are complete and in good condition.
Step 4: Wipe the roof of your car especially the area where the rubber mounts will be placed. Clean the roof with car shampoo and water if the dirt can't be wiped off.
Step 5: Take the rubber mounts, and attach them on the roof. Use the screwdriver to bolt the bar in position. Make sure that everything is securely in place.
Step 6: Do the same procedure to the rear load bar. The distance between both load bars must be enough to fit the things you will place in between.
- Some load bars are designed with an additional key lock function. If your load bar doesn't have one, then improvise a lock that fits your load bar to keep your things secure.
- Check the mounts and knobs of your load bar before you leave. The bumpy roads may loosen them and your things might fall off.