Which Storage Shelf is Best for Your Car?
Getting your tools and other items organized inside your vehicle helps you gain peace of mind and makes your passengers more comfortable in your ride. You can store or stack small, emergency repair tools and other personal belongings inside your car with the right storage shelf based on your needs. To get the best storage shelf for your vehicle, below are some of the considerations you can rely on:
Types of storage shelf
There's a wide range of storage products designed for in-car use available in the market. It only takes basic knowledge of the different types for you to decide on which one is best suited for your needs.
- Toolbox and chest - If you're a DIYer who frequently performs repairs, be it in the garage or on the side of the road, then you would probably need a large tool box. This type is ideal for drivers who possess quite a number of tools. Some chests come with a few shallow drawers or trays dedicated for smaller parts, and deeper drawers for large items.
- Tool cabinet - This type usually comes with doors that allow you to close the cabinet. This quickly makes the car look neat with all the tools and other things kept away. Some even come with locks to keep away thieves and unauthorized borrowers. A lot of cabinets use a combination of shelves, doors, and drawers, depending on the manufacturer's design. You can expect the topmost layer of the cabinet to have a hinged lid, something similar to a standard toolbox.
- Shelving - When your space is limited, the best storage shelf would be the wall-mounted shelving. Although most are mounted on walls, some shelving systems make use of freestanding floor units. They usually utilize rollers, such as tool chests, to make them more portable. Plus, they can even be adjusted to your desired height.
- Storage bin - Tiny bulk components can easily be misplaced; that is why the storage bin exists. It's specially designed to hold small parts such as nuts and bolts, washers, drill bits, screws, spark plugs, and bulbs. Since storage bins come in various sizes, there's also a larger bin for bigger items and parts.
- Tool bag - Going out in the field can be more convenient with a tool bag. It allows you to carry small versions of your tools in your home garage, but only those that are necessary. You can choose from a wide variety of designs — from actual bags made of rugged canvas or nylon, to those made of hard-sided cases. It can even come in the style of a duffel bag or a backpack.
- Compartment box - This type is basically a plastic container or bin designed for keeping smaller parts. Unlike the storage bin, the compartment box usually comes with lids or small drawers. It's not suitable for drivers who feel hassled by having to unsnap lids and pull out drawers.
Aside from the type of storage shelf, you may also want to consider the material of the shelf, the brand, and your budget. Be sure that you buy the storage shelf that owns the quality that's worth your money.