Diagnosing Common Jeep Wrangler (JK) Turn Signal Lights Problems
Though they rarely cause problems, the turn signal lights of the Jeep Wrangler (JK) are not invulnerable to failure. And once they do succumb to wear, damage, or factory defects, broken Jeep Wrangler (JK) turn signal lights will not only become an inconvenience but also a safety hazard due to your vehicle's decreased visibility on the road. In this guide, we'll teach you how to diagnose common problems with Jeep Wrangler (JK) turn signal lights.
The lights refuse to blink.
If one the Wrangler's turn signal lights don't blink, the first thing you should check is the turn signal indicator on the dashboard. If the indicator light stays on but doesn't flash, the problem is likely to be a faulty turn signal flasher and needs to be replaced. But if the indicator light stays up and flashes at a normal rate, check the front and rear turn signal lights to see if all the bulbs are working. If one or more of the lights are flashing in either direction, it's likely that one of the bulbs have burnt out.
The lights don't activate.
On the other hand, if all of the turn signal lights do not illuminate, the problem could either be due to a faulty wiring or a shorted fuse. First check the electrical connections and see if they are not cut or damaged in any way. If the wiring appears to be in good condition, check the fuses in the fuse block. If the metal strip inside one the fuses are broken, it means that the fuse has shorted out and needs replacing. However, if all the fuses also appear to be working perfectly, the fault could be with the turn signal switch.
Lights are blinking faster than normal.
There have also been cases wherein the turn signal lights blink faster than normal. This problem is typically caused by either a malfunctioning bulb or a broken or grounded combination switch. If the bulb fails to work properly, the resistance switches adapt to the sudden change by making the light blink repeatedly. But if the bulb appears normal, the combination switch may have worn out and is supplying inadequate voltage or it has become grounded due to excessive dirt and requires cleaning.