AFE EGR Cooler Review
When you get to a point where you’re tempted to get rid of your ride’s existing EGR cooler to upgrade your car’s performance, just remember that with such component installed, your state’s smog enforcers won’t have any reason to bug you. But if you really want to boost your ride’s performance without any trouble, you’d better just swap your ordinary EGR cooler with the AFE EGR cooler. We’ve tried this out in our ride to see how badass it really is, and here’s what we have to say:
- Comes with a square body
- A 100% brand new unit
- With heat exchanger tube walls that are double thick
- Crafted with bigger tube diameter compared to OE
- Went through extensive pressure testing and TIG welding
- Constructed from premium-quality aluminum components
- Legal for use in California for racing vehicles only; strictly not for use on vehicles traversing California highways
- Supported by AFE’s lifetime limited warranty
- It gives great value for the money. It’s way cheaper compared to other similar EGR coolers in the market.
- We’re impressed by the heat exchanger tube’s thick walls, which are more than twice as thick as the OE component, and the part’s welded (not brazed) connections. The tube looked tough and durable.
- The brand’s lifetime limited warranty erased our doubts about the product’s quality and durability.
- This is definitely not a practical investment for California residents who are not into racing, as this EGR cooler can’t be used in street applications.
- Larger tubes and thicker walls could mean additional weight for the vehicle, which is a no-no for some drivers who prefer to outfit their ride with lightweight components only for performance purposes.
The bottom line
The AFE EGR cooler seems to be a great value for money and a good replacement to a damaged cooler. Its features and its construction are reliable, and the part in general looks promising. Due to its larger tubes and high-quality construction, it may not be as lightweight as the units from other brands. But, that’s a small price to pay if we’re talking about guaranteed durability and long service life, as well as the product’s promise of zero clogs and problems. Additionally, while there may be restrictions on its use in the state of California, non-California residents won’t have any problem fitting it into their ride.