|Category:||$30,000 to $40,000 Mid-Sized Crossover SUV|
|Who should buy this car:||A family looking for a upscale crossover with loads of room for 7 or 8 people and and a comfortable, super quiet cabin|
|Comparable models in this class:||Acura MDX, Audi Q7, BMW X3, Cadillac SRX, GMC Acadia, Honda Pilot, Infiniti FX35, Lexus RX350, Lincoln MKX, Saturn Outlook|
2008 Buick Enclave Road Test Review
Buicks Enclave scores with style and luxury
ST. LOUIS Crossover vehicles blend attributes of an SUV, a car and a truck. Because they are designed to haul people and things, crossovers are essentially the minivans of the new millennium, according to Maria Rohrer, Buick marketing director.
Buick unveiled the 2008 Enclave to automotive writers last week. Technical presentations were accompanied by a half day of driving in the country south of St. Louis.
Minivans are so pass that General Motors no longer builds them. The Enclave shares its basic chassis platform with the Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia. All three vehicles reflect new levels of refinement and style, but the Enclave seems to stand out as the boldest of the trio.
Styling is a key attribute of the Enclave, which combines fashion with luxury, handling and performance in a way that puts it on even footing with the best-selling vehicles in the segment. The bold exterior bulges in all the right places and it has wheels that sit out nearly flush with the body sides. The cabins greenhouse, or window area, is slightly narrower than the rest of the body, adding to the muscular, well-planted stance. Inside, there is room for seven or eight, depending on the configuration.
The Enclave comes in front-wheel or all-wheel drive in two trim levels. Base prices start at $32,055 and range to $36,255. Popularly equipped models will range from the mid-$30,000 level to more than $40,000.
On the twisting two-lane roads of rural Missouri, the Enclave sat firmly and confidently. The body stayed admirably flat in turns, and the ride is both comfortable and responsive. A compact independent rear suspension plays a big role in the vehicles overall handling prowess, but some credit also goes to the Michelin tires that were designed specifically for the Enclave to provide good grip without sacrificing ride quality or noise. Eighteen-inch wheels are standard and 19s are optional.
Quiet vehicles intrinsically feel luxurious, and Buick engineers paid a great deal of attention to noise reduction throughout the Enclaves design. The windshield utilizes glass with a sound-deadening laminate, portions of the body have laminated steel panels, and expandable foam that absorbs noise fills many body cavities. Its easy to talk inside the vehicle at 70 miles per hour, even from the third row. As one engineer said, you have to be careful what you say about your kids because now they can hear every word.
The Enclaves interior is both warm and welcoming. The level of materials and surfaces is on par with other vehicles in this price segment. The front seats have excellent lateral and lumbar support. The optional second-row captains seats are not only pleasant to sit in, but they also tip and slide forward to ease access to the third seat. The third seat is not just a penalty box for children, but a seat that is actually usable by adults.
The Enclaves 3.6-liter V-6 is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. This transversely mounted powerplant, also used in the Outlook and Acadia, has dual overhead cams, four valves per cylinder and variable valve timing. Horsepower is 275.
Out on the road, this engine is smooth and relatively quiet. Mash the throttle and it responds with good power. I found that cruising through hilly terrain with three persons aboard caused the engine to shift up and down frequently to maintain a consistent speed. More midrange torque would give the Enclave even stronger performance in these situations.
Price: We drove a wide variety of vehicles, both front-wheel and all-wheel drive. The front-wheel-drive CX has a base price of $32,055. An all-wheel-drive CXL begins at $36,255. Add $735 to each number for the destination charge.
Warranty: Four years or 50,000 miles, with a five-year, 100,000-mile powertrain warranty.
Standard Equipment CX
- 275 horsepower 3.6 liter V6 Engine
- 6 speed shiftable automatic transmission
- Front-wheel drive
- 18 inch painted alloy wheels with P255/65R18 all-season tires
- Roof rack
- 4 wheel ventilated disc brakes with ABS
- Traction control
- Stability control
- Tire pressure monitoring
- Dual front side-mounted airbags
- Front, rear and third row head airbags
- Xenon high intensity discharge headlamps
- Automatic headlamps
- Front fog/driving lights
- Privacy glass
- 7 person total seating capacity
- Cloth upholstery
- 6-way power driver seat
- 2-way power passenger seat
- Second row captain’s chairs
- Remote power door locks
- Power windows
- Heated power mirrors
- Cruise control
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
- Three zone automatic climate control
- AM/FM in-dash single CD player with CD MP3 Playback stereo and 6 speakers
- OnStar w/Turn-by-Turn Navigation telecommunications service
The CXL Model Adds…
- 19 inch alloy wheels withP255/60R19 inch all-season tires
- Leather upholstery
- 8-way power driver seat
- 4-way power passenger seat
- Heated front seats
- Leather and wood steering wheel and shift knob trim
- Alloy and wood trim on dash
- Leather and wood trim on doors and center console
- Memory driver’s seat
- XM satellite radio
Major Available Options
(Partial List, depends on model, some options are only available as part of a package, see your Buick dealer for details)
- All-wheel drive
- Bose 10 speaker sound system with 6-disc CD changer
- Bose 10 speaker sound system with 5.1 Surround Sound system and 6-disc CD changer
- Rear DVD player with 8 inch overhead display and 2 sets of wireless headphones
- GPS navigation system with backup camera
- Dual Skyscape Sunroof
- Trailering package
- White Diamond Tricoat Paint
- Red Jewel Tintcoat Paint
- 8-Passenger Seating
- 19″ Chrome Wheels
- Driver’s Confidence Package, Includes: Remote vehicle starter system, heated windshield washer fluid system and Ultrasonic rear parking assist with rearview LED display and audible warning.play, Available with or without power sliding moonroof with sunshade and tilt feature
- CXL Luxury Package, Includes: Articulating headlamps, power tilt and telescoping steering column, 110-volt inverter and heated power-adjustable, power-folding body-color exterior mirrors with integrated turn signal indicators and driver-side auto-dimming.