5 Things to Consider in Buying Pontiac Catalytic Converter
The catalytic converter of your Pontiac may need to be replaced due to several reasons. The least possible cause is usually physical damage, although this can happen due to high mileage. The most common cause of faulty catalytic converters is poor maintenance. There are also times when failure is due to faulty programming, jeopardizing the performance of the fuel management system. Whichever the culprit is, you will need to have it replaced in order to pass the EPA or CARB standards. With this responsibility in mind, you need to know how to find the right Pontiac catalytic converter.
- Professional diagnosis: Before paying for a new Pontiac catalytic converter, it is necessary to have a thorough and correct diagnosis of the old cat con's real reason for failing. A professional mechanic can provide you with a thorough assessment of your cat con's condition and can recommend further actions. This is important because following his recommendation can also help prevent damage in the new cat con that you will install. A professional can also give you recommendations about the right catalytic converter to install in your Pontiac. Furthermore, trusting him for proper installation is also vital if you want to make sure that your new catalytic converter will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
- Type of Material: The material of the catalytic converter also affects longevity as much as environmental elements do. Stainless steel catalytic converters, for instance, have a longer life because of the material's capability to resist corrosion caused by rust, salt, water, and other elements. If you live within an area where salt-related damages are a big problem, stainless steel-made cat con is a good choice. This also applies to vehicles driven in places with longer cold seasons. Naturally, a material that offers more also affects the products' pricing. Thus, the type of material is a big consideration in choosing a catalytic converter.
- Emission standards: Emission regulations vary from place to place. California, in particular, enforces strict emission standards stipulated in the California Air Resource Board or CARB. The state of New York has, since 1990, adopted Cali's low emission vehicle standards. Meanwhile, other states implement less strict Environmental Protection Agency or EPA standards. Emission standards vary depending on the smog problems that have to be controlled. Since you need to abide by these standards, it will be wise to choose California-approved Pontiac catalytic converter if you live in that state. For other states, make sure to still choose one that is from a reliable brand.
- Performance boost: Aside from the capacity to provide long-lasting remedy to exhaust problems, you must choose a Pontiac cat con that also promises a boost in the car's engine performance as well as fuel efficiency. As mentioned earlier, a professional mechanic can help you determine the kind of catalytic converter that suit your vehicle.
- Application:Every vehicle is designed with different exhausts, and thus require specific catalytic converters. The search for correct cat con can be started by providing the dealer with your vehicle's year, make, and model information. You may also check the Vehicle Control Information Tag so as to identify its factory emissions certification that will guide you in choosing the suitable catalytic converter.