3-Step Guide to Mount Your Chevrolet Dash Cover
Your dashboard is a cool feature of your Chevy, but it is regularly exposed to direct sunlight, dust, and human misuse. To protect your investment, Chevrolet dash covers keep your cockpit looking stylish while preventing fading and cracking. These covers are custom-fitted for specific make, model, and year; at the same time, take note of the vents, speakers, sensors, and other navigation systems. This task is easy to do and can be completed in an hour.
Required skill level: Novice
Tools and materials needed:
- Dash Cover
- Scissors or sharp utility blade
- Ruler or plastic spatula
Cleaning and setting up for mounting
Wipe and clean the whole dashboard area thoroughly to remove dusts and vinyl protectants. Use a denatured rubbing alcohol or mild detergent to effectively remove polishes, waxes, and other preservatives.
Preparing the dash cover
Lay flat the Chevrolet dash cover across the dashboard, overnight if possible. Check and align your vehicle's sensors, vents, and other systems with the markings or cut-outs. If needed, use a ruler or a plastic spatula to push and tuck the cover between the windshield and dash. To speed up the shaping procedure, fold, crease, and bend the material to assist contouring it to the shape of the dashboard. If the markings or perforated holes seen underside the dash cover have not been cut out yet, use scissors or a sharp utility blade to cut out the openings.
Attaching the dash cover
Make sure the dashboard surface is clean and free from any protective wax or coating. Cut the included self-adhesive hook fasteners into half-inch or one-inch strips. Then, position the fasteners where they are needed on the dashboard. Peel off the protective layer from each tab and press in position for about 10 seconds. Check placement while lining up the Chevrolet dash cover to the vents and other openings. If you want to shift a tab, slowly and carefully peel it away from the dashboard to avoid ruining the vinyl. Freely add more hook fasteners to secure the cover in place.
Tips and warnings
- Lay out the dash cover in the sun or warmer vents to let it ‘warm up'. Warmer weather make it follow the dash's outline better, resulting in a smoother match and faster installation.
- The dash covers are made of porous fabric material that does not block or distort sounds coming from radio speakers. The porous material also stops light and harmful UV rays from reaching the surface of the dashboard.
- To prevent the front edge of the dash cover getting ripples between the vents and windshield, create tension on both sides by pulling on the dash cover and securing it with self-adhesive hook fasteners.
- If you purchase a molded-type dash cover, you do not have to unroll and pre-shape it. You can directly mount it on the dashboard.
- Do not put any fasteners in the airbag system area. The dash cover is designed to allow correct deployment of the airbag system. Cutting clearances have been made so as not to obstruct the passenger side airbag system.