A Fast and Easy Way to Set Up the Spring and Bolt Kit
A spring and bolt kit plays a vital role in attaching various car parts to one another. These items are used as part of the linkages in vehicles, and are responsible in making systems work, such as the suspension system, among others. The coil springs and bolts of a car function as a major connection between various parts by following standard mechanics for vehicles. The spring is inserted through the holes on the bolt and is secured by clips or adhesives that are specially made for cars. However, there comes a time when the spring and bolt starts losing the linkage, which makes it necessary for people to install a new set on their respective vehicles. Here is a simple guide on how you can put a new set of spring and bolt on your car.
Required skill level: Novice
Needed tools and materials
- Spring and bolt kit
- Jack stands
Preparing the vehicle
Prepare the vehicle for the spring and bolt installation by making sure that it is parked in a spacious area where you can work comfortably. Also, make sure that the car has been cooled down because you will be working with various heat-absorbent systems. And since you will most likely be working on your car's suspension system using the spring and bolt kit, take time to disconnect he car battery for safety purposes.
Mounting the car
Get a couple of jack stands that will help you mount the car from the ground. This will elevate the vehicle and give you ample space to work on. Secure the stands properly so the car does not fall to the ground, especially while you are working underneath.
Installing the springs and bolts
Start putting the springs and bolts on the right places using the wrenches. There might also be a need for you to drill some holes on the parts in order for you to insert the bolts, so make sure that you have your drill at hand. Be wary not to drill holes carelessly. Keep in mind that there are only certain areas where you can put holes. Otherwise, you could be jeopardizing the function of the entire system.
Removing the vehicle from the stands
Take out the jack stands one by one and slowly lower the vehicle back to the ground once you are done installing the springs and bolts on the system.
Choosing the Better Spring and Bolt Kit between Walker and Felpro
With the help of the spring and bolt kit, it becomes so much easier for car owners to put parts and accessories into place. The kit also performs an essential role in the suspension system of a vehicle in making sure that passengers do not feel too springy each time the car comes to a halt. However, there are times when consumers find it so difficult to choose among the variety of spring and bolt kit brands in the market. Given that they have a lot of considerations in selecting the products they are going to buy for their vehicles, it takes so much time before consumers come up with a final decision, and this is what they are actually trying to avoid. So to spare more time in shopping for a spring and bolt kit, we decided to help you come up with a wise decision through this guide:
A lot of consumers will surely agree that the price of the spring and bolt kit is the biggest consideration they have when shopping for the part. The items from Walker are priced between $4 and $15, while the ones from Felpro are equally affordable at $5 to $9. There is a very slight difference on the price range, and this gives consumers more choices for their spring and bolt kit needs.
WINNER: Walker and Felpro
Another huge contributing factor for consumers is the product fit. Walker and Felpro both offer spring and bolt items that are considered as great OE replacements. This is because the products that they have all follow OE specifications, which means that the items can fit practically any size, brand, and model of vehicle. There is also no need for people to adjust the size of the spring and bolt products they are getting because the items are manufactured in a universal fit.
WINNER: Walker and Felpro
When it comes to warranty, however, Felpro has an advantage because it offers a limited 1-year warranty for its consumers. Any kind of service is guaranteed to people who are purchasing their spring and bolt kits from Felpro and its official distributors. It is not the same for Walker, though, because the brand does not offer warranty for their products. In case you decide to get a Walker spring and bolt kit and something wrong comes up with your items, the only thing you can do is to buy another set of replacement parts.
Both brands have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it is just right for people to take their time in comparing their choices. The differences are not that big, though, so if you are not too convinced with the warranty offered by Felpro, you can simply opt to buy a spring and bolt kit from Walker. Besides, they both fall on the same price range, which means that there wouldn't be much of a difference.
The Dos and Don’ts When Buying a Spring and Bolt Kit
One of the best-known ways to improve your vehicle's handling is to install a new suspension system. This involves setting up a new spring and bolt kit as well. However, continued use of your car can lead to the suspension system components getting damaged, just like the other parts of your vehicle. When you start your search for a new spring and bolt kit for your car, here are some pointers that you can consider:
- Get the accurate measurements of your vehicle. Once you have an idea on the proper measurements, purchase the springs and bolts that fit these sizes. You can make use of a special measuring tool, if you have one, to identify the exact diameter size of the holes in your car's exhaust flange.
- Consult your owner's manual if you are not sure how to measure the components yourself. Look for the tech specs and part requirements specific to the exhaust flange spring and bolt.
- Carry the stock springs and bolts with you when going to the auto parts store. If you want to make sure that you get the right replacement part, look for a new spring and bolt kit that's the same as the old one. Remember to check the labels and product specifications on the box of the replacement component. The size and other measurements can usually be found there.
- Save time and effort by buying the spring and bolt kit online. This allows you to get the replacements even when you're at home.
- Consider your budget constraints. There are a lot of replacement options available in the market. Compare and contrast the price tags from various sellers, and sort the products based on your budget allocation. Sorting them according to price makes it easier to browse through the catalog.
- Choose the spring and bolt kit that's made specifically for your car make, model, and year.
- Opt for the branded ones if you have allocated a considerable budget for the spring and bolt kit. If you have a preferred brand, then select one from its product line.
- Don't purchase from shady online sellers. Make sure that you are buying a genuine replacement part from an authorized auto parts vendor. Look for security seals and payment certificates such as VeriSign or Thwate. These logos or seals on the website mean that payment transactions made through this site are secured.
- Don't get fooled by cheap offers that are too good to be true. You should be aware that cheap replacement parts are offered in such price segments for a reason. Always check the quality first before getting the spring and bolt kit from the seller.
- Don't forget to do your research on a brand or a manufacturer when you're in doubt. It pays to do a double check of the brand's performance history, consumer reviews, and other materials that you can use as basis for their reputation.
- Don't buy an individual spring if there's a spring and bolt kit sold as a package. It can save you bucks compared to purchasing these parts separately.