Buying a New Battery Charger
If you are fond of taking long road trips, then it's best to keep a battery charger with you all the time. In the event that your battery suddenly dies, you need not worry because all you have to do is take out the charger and jump-start the battery in no time. Charging the car battery is easy, but looking for the right charger is hard. So here's a guide to help you find the right battery charger.
Things to keep in mind when purchasing a battery charger
- Look for one that's small enough so that storing it in your car won't be a hassle.
- Monitor the charging progress of the battery charger by using the simple indicator lights that it's equipped with.
- Find a stronger machine if you want high-output charges.
- Compare the charging ampere ratings between other models in the same price range to be able to come up with a decision as to what brand you're going to purchase.
- Consider the rate settings and type of charge level display according to the intended functions.
- Preferably choose a large roll-around type of charger if you're expecting jump-starts or if it's for a repair shop.
- Look for chargers established with brand names. Generic brands can be much more affordable, but chargers from an established brand are more reliable.
- Check any battery charger's quality of construction. Read about the history and reputation of the manufacturer.
- Find a manufacturer with a good warranty. Take note that warranties will be irrelevant should the company go out of business or change brand name once in awhile.
Tips to bear in mind
- Remember to follow all battery and battery charger manufacturer's precautions in how to handle and charge lead-acid batteries.
- Make sure that the charger has a jump start setting. Battery chargers with brand names do, but if you'd rather buy from a generic one, make sure that it has this setting.
- Don't buy an open box item or a secondhand one because there's no way to double check what someone has done to it or how it was exposed.
- While you're at it, also invest in a battery jumper pack. This is a compact unit that has a battery and two jumper cable leads that you can use to jump-start your vehicle.
We hope these tips will help you buy a new battery charger. Good luck in finding a new one!