FAQs— Chevrolet Bumper Cover
- My Chevrolet bumper cover got a crack due to a parking lot incident. Someone told me that the only solution is to have it replaced. Is there still another way for me to fix this?
It depends on how bad the damage is. If the crack isn’t too deep, you can plastic weld it, then prep and paint the affected surface to make it look smooth again. For better results, repaint the whole bumper cover to eliminate other issues like stone chips and small dents. But if you don’t have much time, it’s acceptable to repaint only the affected area; just make sure that its color will blend in well with the rest of the bumper cover. Replacement may cost you a lot, so you should only consider this if the damage turns out to be really bad.
- As much as I want to fix my damaged bumper cover, I’m worried that I won’t be able to paint it well after the fix. Any tips on how I can make my Chevy bumper cover look as good as new even after the repair?
If you’re doing a DIY job, make sure you’ll do a proper prep work that won’t just ensure proper paint application but also better paint adhesion. Depending on the kind and severity of damage, there may be a lot of prep work involved for you to attain like-new finish. You should make sure that the spray booth you’ll use meets certain conditions (like proper distance between the nozzle and the surface that will be painted) for your paint to adhere correctly. You see, air contaminants, humidity, diesel exhaust, and other factors can mess up a DIY paint job, so make sure these are properly dealt with before starting with the task.
- What if I let a repair shop do the painting job? Is that a good decision? How can I be sure that the job will be carried out properly?
The secret is to find a good shop that will meticulously do the job. Don’t ever choose a shop based on how fast it can get the job done. Remember that painting, including application of primer, paint, and clear coat, takes time, as you will need to allow each thin coat to dry or cure before spraying another coat. In some cases, a light buff may be needed in between applications. So if the repair shop promised you that it can do the job in no time, chances are it won’t be able to do the job right since the process of painting alone takes time.
- My ordered Chevrolet bumper cover arrived with black primer applied. However, it seems like the surface still has some flaws. How can I make the cover’s surface consistent and ready for painting?
First, you can wet sand the entire bumper cover surface using 600-grit sandpaper. Then, while the surface is still wet, apply wax and grease remover. Dry the surface using another shop towel.
- Are there proper ways and techniques to apply the basecoat on my newly purchased Chevy bumper cover?
Prior to spraying, make sure to carefully shake the basecoat can for about a minute. When spraying, maintain a distance of about 12 inches between your bumper cover and your thumb. To avoid getting unsightly run, apply very light coats. It’s also a good idea to apply basecoat with each pass, in such a way that it overlaps the previous pass by around 50%. Allow each coat to dry for at least 10 minutes before applying the next coat. On the underside of the bumper cover, two layers of basecoat will be fine.
- How about clearcoat application? Can you share some tips that could help make a DIY project more successful?
Application of the clearcoat is pretty much like basecoat: several light coats with the distance of about 12 inches from the bumper cover to the spray nozzle and 50% overlap with every coat. Allow each coat to dry for several minutes before spraying the next one. After the final clearcoat application, let it dry for at least six hours before installing the bumper cover on the car.<
FAQs – Chevrolet Bumper Cover
- I am very particular with fitment. How do I make sure that the bumper cover fits my Chevy?
Yes, there is a vast variety of vehicle models under the Chevrolet brand. But even with seemingly identical vehicles, you might still be able to spot the smallest differences. A small difference can affect the mounting points, design, and provisions on the panel. More than that, these very fine details can change every time the manufacturer releases facelifts. If you are concerned with how it will fit your Chevrolet vehicle, you should consider narrowing down your search using these factors: the year, make, model, and trim. By trimming down the options, you will be able to find the bumper cover that will fit snuggly on your Chevy without any issues. From there, you will only need to make sure that the part is perfectly aligned with the rest of the body.
- What are the materials used for the bumper cover?
Decades ago, bumpers mounted on vehicles were usually made of steel. This provided a sturdy protection during front-end collisions. However, it also packs a lot of weight that makes any vehicle extra heavy. These days, vehicles are fitted with bumper covers that are made of durable plastic. This material is easier to mold and produce. The light material contributes to weight reduction, making vehicles more fuel efficient. The designs are also made that way to absorb a large portion of the impact during collisions. Because of that, damage on the rest of the vehicle can be minimized.
- I want the color of the Chevrolet bumper cover to match the rest of the vehicle. How do I make sure it does?
There might be a chance that you can find a bumper cover that has the exact color of your vehicle in local shops or dealerships. But more often than not, this part is sold with only the primer sprayed on to it. This should not really be a problem as this layer serves as a protection to the surface of the bumper. You can spray the exact shade of color to it once it gets delivered to your house.
- I am thinking of playing with the looks of my ride’s front end. Is it possible with the bumper cover?
You can actually alter the looks of your vehicle by choosing the appropriate bumper cover. You have the option of maintaining the stock look by getting an OEM bumper cover replacement. On the other hand, you can also get a little bit playful by choosing aftermarket designs. Whichever you choose, always remember to search and choose the part that is designed specifically for your vehicle. That is unless you are willing to operate and do extensive modifications on it.
- I am considering fog lights installation on my Chevy. Can I do that with the bumper cover?
There are bumper covers that come bare but have provisions for stock fog lights. But there are also packages that already include fog lights. You should look into these selections before locking in your choice. If you are considering putting aftermarket lights, check the dimensions and match it with the fog light provisions on your Chevrolet bumper cover.