As its name suggests, a door handle is used to open and close car doors. It is found on both the exterior and interior sides of automobile doors, although they are used differently on each panel. The one on the outside is pulled to open the car door, while the inside door handle is used to release the door latch before you can push the door to let yourself out.
Some car door handles can be found protruding from the exterior side while some are built into the fascia of the vehicles so that they seem to follow the contour of the car's body. They are usually made of steel, but doors of more expensive cars feature chrome door handles. Luxury automobiles such as the Lincoln Town Center are even decked with an electronic entry pad that requires you to either enter a numerical code or have your thumb scanned so you can open the car door.
In regular door handles, a toothed wheel at the side panel of the door, called a rotor, helps do the job. The rotor rotates and turns its teeth so to latch and unlatch with the striker when you open and close the car door. Although the door handle is probably one of the least complicated parts of your vehicle, it is just as important because it's the one that gives you entry and exit to your car. If isn't working well, you would obviously be trapped inside your car or perhaps be denied access to your own car. That would be a misfortune. A car door handle can cause you a lot of inconvenience if it isn't working properly, so it should not be taken for granted.
Important Facts You Need to Know About Door Handle
Are your hands slipping when you open your car doors? Get a new door handle to open your ride's door with ease.
Ignorance won't bring you bliss, especially when your car and its maintenance are involved. Yes, it's important to devote most of your time looking after major parts like the engine or the radiator. But what some owners don't know is they also have to provide time for little parts as well. If you don't, these parts may break down-and this can be very annoying and inconvenient. For example, your car's door handle. It may not be as demanding of your attention like the engine is, but it sure does deserve your care. And you better know why.
Well, first of all, simple as door handles are, you can't do without them. We all know the obvious reason: they enable you to get in and out of your car. When they get damaged, they give you a hard time entering or leaving your car. Imagine getting stuck inside your car or being unable to enter it because of a faulty car door handle? You'd certainly miss important meetings, be late for that much-awaited first date, and what do you know-maybe even more humiliating situations.
What's worse is that with a broken door handle, your car's safety is also greatly compromised. Thieves can get in easily and steal your things, or worse, your car. If you don't want to go through that, better take care of those door handles. Avoid car troubles by doing regular car maintenance of all your car's parts, no matter how big or small they are.
The Automobile Basics: Door Handle
Car doors serve as points of entry and exit in any vehicle. They also provide protection to the occupants while the vehicle is speeding down the highway. Without them, there's a chance that the occupants would be thrown out of the vehicle if the vehicle makes a sudden turn. Car doors are composed of several components that aid in its efficient function. One of these essential parts is the Door Handle which makes opening and closing even more convenient to do for the occupants. It's hard to imagine doors without their respective door handles. Occupants would have a hard time opening the car door if they only have the slipper door panel to grab on to. It's a good thing that car makers came up with the idea of integrating handles on every car door. Door handles are not designed to last the lifetime of a vehicle. They will also end up damaged after a period of time. Early wear is also likely to happen especially if owners fail to provide them with regular and proper maintenance. The fact that they are always exposed to harmful elements makes maintenance even more imperative. However, if a Door Handle is already damaged beyond repair, car owners must replace it immediately. They surely wouldn't like dealing with a jammed handle when they are in a big hurry for an appointment. Car owners who are also Do-It-Yourself mechanics can also accomplish the Door Handle installation on their own if they want to.
Door Handle: Just the Facts
Are you having a hard time just with opening your car's door? A jammed door handle could be the cause of your problems. Although commonly used, the door handle is one of those auto parts that are mostly neglected during vehicle maintenance.Most drivers wouldn't give door handles a second thought unless these handles become stuck or simply won't budge to open the vehicle's doors. Lack of proper maintenance and the door handle's frequent use makes this auto part vulnerable to wear and tear.To prevent its premature deterioration, regular door handle maintenance should include the application of lubricant and check-ups on the handle's mechanism. And if repairing your damaged door handle is out of the question, replacing it is the best option.Car Parts offers a complete line of door handles for a wide range of vehicles. There's no way you can't find the door handles you want at our catalog!
• Door handles can be made from durable plastic and metals like aluminum alloy, zinc alloy, and magnesium alloy.
• Door handles are better replaced than repaired when damaged.
• Aside from making vehicle entry easier, door handles can add a customized look to your vehicle.
The Dos and Don'ts of Buying a Door Handle
When you get your car handle broken, you must not think twice about getting this replaced. Come to think of it, how are you supposed to get in and out of your car with a broken handle? Unless you own a door-less car, then there's really no need for you to be reading this article. A car door handle is not interchangeable between automobiles, which is why there's one specifically made for your vehicle. If you're ready to search for that replacement handle, then here are some dos and don'ts to consider when shopping for a new one.
- Do check the owner's manual for the car door handle part number. You must know that there are specific numbers for certain kinds of handles, but you have to be patient because the proper part number may not be available right away.
- Do explore. There are a lot of options when looking for a door handle. In fact, you can even order directly from the factory. These auto dealers could be able to get you the proper door handle within just a couple of weeks.
- Do make use of the internet. Though it's not an easy task to scout for the right door handle online, there are actually trusted online automotive retailers that sell car parts for all makes and models. All you have to do is explore the World Wide Web and you'll be amazed at the number of websites that sell the door handle you need for your vehicle.
- Don't settle for run-of-the-mill auto parts. You may get to save up a lot of cash if you buy from your local scrap yard, but think about the expenses you'd be buried in if this replacement handle happens to jeopardize your entire door. You spent a lot when you bought your ride, then you might as well install parts that are high quality and durable.
- Don't complain when you end up buying from the salvage yard. And don't come crying to us and hear us say,
We told you so.
- Do make sure that it comes with a complete set of installation instructions. You wouldn't want to have a hard time setting up your door handle and not know where to even begin.
- Do see to it as well that it comes with a complete set of materials to work with. You certainly wouldn't want missing pieces when you attach the door handle.
These are just some tips for you when you're about to purchase the door handle. If you have some tips yourself, feel free to use them! In fact, we just want you to purchase the right replacement door handle for you. So make sure you choose from trusted names in the industry, so you wouldn't end up regretting your purchase. Have a happy shopping!
Instructions for DIY Door Handle Installation
If you've ever experienced a jammed or stuck car door handle, then you know how annoying it can be. Since the door handle is a frequently used part of the car with moving parts and constantly exposed to the elements, it is inevitable that it will wear down over time. Most people neglect the door handle and don't notice its deterioration until it gets stuck. Don't wait until you can't get in and out of your care easily. Check your door handles now and see if they need to be replaced. If they're busted, don't worry; repairing and replacing a broken car door handle is actually moderately easy. Let us show you how:
Difficulty level: Moderate
Tools you'll need
- Flathead screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver
- Replacement inside door handle
- Always wear safety glasses or goggles so that harmful elements won't hit your eyes.
- Wear latex gloves and closed toe shoes when working; you'd want to avoid injury while working on your door handle.
Step 1: With the car windows fully up, remove the inside door panel. Using the Phillips screwdriver, unscrew the Phillips screws that hold the panel in place. If there are small plastic clips holding the panel, then you might want to use a flathead screwdriver to get the panel out of the clips. Remember to work carefully; you wouldn't want to damage the panel.
Step 2: Remove the door handle from the long handle wires, which connect to the pull system of the handle. With a little help from a friend, the wires could easily slip off the door handle.
Step 3: Using the Phillips screwdriver, unscrew the door handle and remove it.
Step 4: Mount the new door handle and screw it back in with a Phillips screwdriver. You can use the old screws from the old handle door if you wish to do so.
Step 5: Connect the door handle back to the handle wires. After, test it to see if it works correctly.
Step 6: Mount the door panel and screw it back into place.
And voila! Your new car door installation is now done. Now you can get in and out of your car easily and hassle-free!