The Basics of Shopping for the Correct Fender Support
Fenders are made of several materials, primarily the same material as the car body. Most cars are made of steel (incredibly resilient and durable) while other cars are made of aluminum (rust-free). Fender support, on the other hand, is a bracket that reinforces the fender and makes it less susceptible to fender benders. Like fenders, they're also made of steel and/or aluminum. This product could be a replacement fender support or a customized one to improve fender functionality.
Pointers for Shopping
- Know Which Fender It's Used For: There are fender support brackets you can fit unto your front left fender, front right fender, rear left fender, and rear right fender (also known as front, driver, and passenger fenders). Each bracket differs in positioning and construction depending on which fender it's placed, so check out the product description regarding which fender the bracket is supposed to support.
- Its Shape and Its Customization Options: Different brackets have different shapes. While OEM replacement fender support tends to have the same size and shape as the original, you have the option to purchase various other shapes tailored for specific uses. Custom-fit brackets are available smaller yet more compact, allowing for more protection from mud and rocks.
- The Right Fender Support Material: You can either get an aluminum or steel fender support for your needs. Aluminum fender support is more lightweight and isn't corrosive but steel ones are more common and well-known for their supreme durability. They're the support your fender can depend on in case it goes through an accident.
- Direct Fit and Easy Installment: The fewer the steps it takes to install your new fender support, the better value it has. In case fitment isn't enough to find a direct fit bracket, check the specs of the product in question to see if it has the right measurements for your fender-supporting needs. You can also use the original equipment number and parts link number as reference that you're getting the right support.
- Intentions for Usage: A mounting bracket for your fender has multiple benefits. The trick to buying the right one for you is to match your intentions with what it has to offer. A fender bracket support can be used to widen the fender and allow you to use bigger wheels. It can also improve the looks of your vehicle as well as its fender durability.
Pointers for Review
To be honest, as long as you know the fitment of your car relative to these fender support mounting brackets, you should get the proper fit and measurement for your fender reinforcement needs. It's when you're looking for custom-fit options that things can get more complicated. However, as long as you partner with your mechanic in finding the right parts online, you should save hundreds of dollars in parts shopping for the right bracket.