Gates Timing Belt Kit Review
Being on the forefront of timing belt innovation, the Gates Company has a strong relationship with OE manufacturers. This bond gives its satisfied patrons aftermarket parts that installs and performs like the original. However, no matter how strong this relationship is, you'll never know how much of a match a Gates timing belt is to your vehicle's system until it’s installed. So to find out if its products is as compatible as it claims to be, we installed a Gates timing belt kit on our Ford Escort and tested its fit, form, and function.
- OE-replacement fit and style
- All components included (except idler pulley and water pump)
- Kit includes 1 timing belt and 1 timing belt tensioner
- Comes with detailed instructions
- Ships in tamper-resistant packaging
- Backed by a Lifetime Gates limited warranty
- We were glad that the Gates timing belt was a perfect fit to our Ford Escort. Its OE-comparable style made it very easy to install and adjust.
- The tensioner included with the kit was also preloaded with an easy pull pin. This helped us further during installation. Since replacing a Ford Escort's timing belt is known to be a pain, having the preloaded pin made installation easier and more convenient.
- We appreciated the fact that the part came with detailed installation instructions and the required settings needed for the part, which guided us all throughout the replacement process.
- The kit also came with two springs. This was a big bonus for our Ford Escort. We didn't have to search for replacement springs that would be compatible for the part.
- After installing the kit on the Escort, we observed that the new timing belt and tensioner pulley made the Escort run like new.
- Upon receiving the part, we were surprised that the its hardware did not carry the Gates logo. It looked more like a generic part rather than a replacement from a trusted aftermarket auto part brand. However, after contacting the Gates Company through email, it was confirmed to be authentic and of good quality.
- We noticed that one of the bearings on the belt tensioner sounded a little rough. The orignal tensioner installed on the Escort sounded better and we were disappointed that we didn't get to keep that feature with the installation of this kit.
- The kit does not come with a water pump and idler pulley.
The Gates timing belt kit is a good set to replace your vehicle's timing belt and tensioner. With its OE-style fit and complete hardware, this kit is very easy to install. It can also significantly improve the way your car's engine runs, lessening strain on its gears and bearings. Although it does not come with a water pump and idler pulley unlike its competitors, the inclusion of the springs and detailed instructions makes this kit a worthwhile investment for your vehicle.