KYB Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly Review
Poor handling, decreased stability, and increased body roll are just some of the reasons why you need to check your shocks and struts regularly. Tucked underneath the vehicle, these parts are hidden from our everyday view. There’s no quick and easy way of knowing whether these parts are already used up—that is, until you notice the first few signs of vehicle damage. For these reasons, we tested the KYB shock absorber and strut assembly on our trusty old Mazda 3 to see if the parts will make any difference in our vehicle’s handling and performance.
- Rear, driver-side location
- Twin-tube design
- Black finish
- Non-adjustable damping
- Corrosion resistant
- Lifetime KYB limited warranty
What we like
- The assembly is perfect for high-mileage vehicles like our Mazda 3. With more than 90,000 miles on our ride, one can only expect poor handling and irritating noise. After we’ve installed the KYB shock absorber and strut assembly, we noticed that our once discomfited ride was back to its old zippy self.
- For its quality, the shocks and strut assembly was a great bargain. It’s priced way lower than other assemblies in the market that it’s almost a steal. We noticed a huge improvement in our vehicle’s performance right after we’ve installed the parts. That kind of quality is something that you’d expect in a more pricey product.
- Adaptability to different road conditions was excellent. We tested the parts on smooth pavement and rough terrain, and we were impressed at how stable and comfortable our driving was. Our vehicle’s tires also had a better grip.
- Non-adjustable feature provides excellent energy absorption. Bumps and dips on the road weren’t too obvious with the new shocks and strut assembly.
What we didn’t like
- The parts weren’t a direct fit. It took our mechanics more than two hours to complete the job—and these are pros we are talking about.
- The assembly doesn’t dissipate heat as well as it should. That’s kind of expected since we didn’t pay premium for the parts.
Our final say
The KYB shock absorber and strut assembly is recommended to anyone who’s looking for an affordable OE-comparable assembly. It might be a challenge for a novice DIY-er to install the parts. However, if you have good mechanical skills, then installing the assembly wouldn’t be a big problem.