KYB Shock and Strut Boot Review
Your suspension assembly has a lot of parts that are susceptible to damage from the elements. Two of these parts are the shocks and the struts, which are responsible for giving your car a good handling. To prevent premature wear to these two components, manufacturers use boots to protect them from contaminants like dust and dirt. These boots, like those kinds you wear on your feet for protection, keep small objects from compromising the performance of the shocks and the struts. These are located on each end of the two components in order to provide optimum protection from both sides. Like what wise car owners do, you must always replace your boots from time to time to maintain the overall health of your suspension system. Let us see if one from KYB will help eliminate your suspension worries.
- Made of rubber
- Includes a travel-limiting bumper
- Carries a year of KYB limited warranty
We tested this component on a Mazda 626 ES and a Subaru Forester, and here is what we have to say:
- We stretched and compressed the component a bit to see how tensile it was. Being made of rubber, it was neither tensile nor unyielding, but it would be able to adjust to the movement of the retracting and extending coil springs.
- The threading of the boots was equidistant and well-made. When we compressed the boots, the threading moved closer to each other while still giving some resistance.
- The bumpstops fit exactly to the opening of the rubber boots. We were confident that they would be able to prevent contaminants from destroying the struts and the shocks.
- The travel-limiting bumper of each boot added a bit to the handling of the 626 ES and the Forester. When we drove each model for thirty minutes, we really had an easy ride even when hitting potholes on the road. Both cars responded better when cornering, for the said bumper improved the performance of the struts and the shocks. Eventually, this bumper would prevent the struts from bottoming out.
- This product is very affordable, sold for only about 15USD apiece.
- This product did not come with installation instructions that would have helped us fit the bumpstops and the boots faster.
If you want more-than-average protection for your struts and shocks, then these KYB rubber boots would surely be a good buy. They look good, are cheaper than other brands, and considerably improved the handling of our two test cars. Just make sure to buy units that are right for the make and model of your car so as to prevent fitting and installation hassles.