Skyjacker Leaf Spring Review
Being the "Bear of Suspensions" Skyjacker is a field-proven expert in tough lift kits and suspension products. It features aftermarket parts that are both durable and efficient, especially for off-road applications. But it takes more than a simple tagline to prove a Skyjacker part's actual performance when it is installed on a vehicle. So to test its claims, we installed Skyjacker Softride leaf springs on our 1987 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 and drove it through harsh terrain and difficult driving conditions.
- Direct fit
- Constructed from shot-penned, American-made steel
- Progressive spring-type
- Uses bolt-style spring clips
- Can provide up to 2.5 inches lift
- Includes rubber spring bushing
- Backed by a Lifetime Skyjacker limited warranty
- Installation of the part was straightforward and hassle-free. It was probably one of the easiest spring installations our team has ever done.
- We were particularly impressed with the Skyjacker Softride leaf spring's OE-comparable fit. It matched up perfectly with all the OE brackets and the new shacks we also had installed.
- The part lifted the 4Runner'srear-end nicely. Before installing the springs, the truck's rear was an inch or so higher than its front end. With the Skyjacker Softride leaf spring, the 4Runner now sits level with our truck’s front.
- We've also observed an improvement in the truck's ride. It felt smoother and more under control than when it had the stock installed.
- There was also a 110% difference in the truck's overall appearance. The lifted rear gave it a more towering stature as compared to its look before installing the springs.
- Installation of the part was difficult to say the least. Getting them in required a lot of strength from two members of our team.
- The part's finish was flaking off in a variety of places. We also noticed that the bolt heads had already rusted after a few months of use.
- Another reason why installation was messier than we had anticipated was due to the lack of installation instructions. We had to call Skyjacker a few times for technical help.
- The part also didn't fit the bushings came with it. As a solution, we opted to use a press to help pop the bushings right in.
- The effects of installing new springs weren’t as immediate as we hoped. The 4Runner's ride was a bit hard during the first to second month after installation.
If you're looking for a sturdy replace to your vehicle's stock springs, going for a Skyjacker Softride leaf springs will give it that hardened toughness your ride craves for. Its all-American steel construction is designed to reduce friction for a smooth and firm ride even with maximum load. Ideal for heavy-haulers and off roaders, these springs can give your vehicle strength and flexibility at all times. Installation could be the part's toughest challenge. So be sure to employ the help of a professional when needed.