Stant Gas Cap Review
Every part of your vehicle, no matter how small, is essential to the overall dynamics of your road surfer. One good example for this is your gas cap. It keeps the pressure and the fuel locked inside your gas tank. Even the tiniest glitch in your gas cap can cause huge problems in terms of your budget, yours and your passengers’ health and safety, and the environment. If you run all year with a leaking fuel cap, you are wasting as much as 30 gallons of gas, and you are emitting almost 200 pounds of harmful fumes into the air. A leaky gas cap can also result in a fuel spillage in case your vehicle overturns due to an accident. But, you can avoid all those hassles if you decide to replace your broken stock. The job of your vehicle’s fuel cap is really tough. Let’s see if the Stant gas cap is up for the challenge.
Stant gas cap features
- Has an “Instant Fill” feature
- Vented–with pressure and vacuum relief valves that are especially designed and tested to maintain the prescribed amount of pressure inside the tank
- Comes in black finish
- Pressure vacuum type especially made for emissions control
- Made from sturdy plastic materials
- Features a capless adapter
- Equipped with Stant’s “Brakeaway Groove” feature
- Quick-on style
- Sold individually
- Carries a 90-day Stant limited warranty
We tried Stant’s gas cap on our Honda Accord, and here are our observations:
- The “Instant Fill” feature of the Stant gas cap was very helpful. There’s no need to manually remove and replace the cap everytime we go to the gas station for refueling. The trap door automatically opens when it comes in contact with the gas nozzle.
- The risk of losing or misplacing the gas cap when refueling won’t be a problem because of its capless feature.
- Its quick-on style made the installation very easy. It also fits our Honda Accord’s fuel tank perfectly.
- The sealing capability of the gas cap increased our Accord’s fuel economy and decreased the emission of fumes.
- Its durable plastic material has high resistance to rust accumulation and corrosion.
- The pressure and vacuum valves are very helpful in preventing the fuel tank from collapsing due to excess pressure inside.
- The cap’s “Brakeaway Groove” feature keeps the tank sealed during road accidents even when parts of the cap have been broken.
- It also serves as quick solution to the usual “Check Engine Light” problem caused by a faulty gas cap.
- The gas cap that we tested is not equipped with a locking feature. This makes the gas cap unprotected against gas cap thieves.
- The trap door mechanism of the gas cap is a little vulnerable. A little gentleness in inserting the gas nozzle can help in prolonging the life of the gas cap’s trap door.
- The price is also a bit steep compared to the prices of the ordinary gas caps we’ve tried.
- The 90-day limited warranty is a little short. A longer warranty period would have been better.
After using the Stant gas cap on our Honda Accord for a couple of weeks, we have witnessed a significant improvement in our vehicle’s fuel economy. Also, there were no signs of wear on the gas cap even if it was exposed to varying weather conditions and temperatures. The “Instant Fill” feature was also very useful because it significantly reduced our refueling time. Because the gas cap is vented, the right amount of pressure inside the Accord’s gas tank is maintained.
Although the Stant gas cap that we tested is not equipped with a locking feature, there are lower chances of losing your gas cap because you no longer need to remove it from the tank. The dilemma with its trap door is very trivial because some additional care in inserting the nozzle can actually do the trick. Thus, no points were deducted because of that. Indeed, the Stant gas cap is more expensive than other brands'. But considering all its features, every penny that we spent was worth it.