Timken Wheel Bearing Review
One of the most essential components of a top-notch suspension system is a durable and reliable wheel bearing. The wheel bearing is usually located within your vehicle’s wheel hub assembly, which is where the tires and the brakes are attached. Mainly composed of the bearing itself and the race, the wheel bearing allows your tires to rotate freely and smoothly for a more comfortable and stable driving experience. It also allows your vehicle to carry some extra load without giving you any worries or doubts that your wheel assembly will break down and fail you. But no matter how confident you are about your wheel bearings, they are bound to deteriorate and fail at some point. When you start hearing noisy rubbing sounds while you are driving in high speed or when your suspension system steers and vibrates uncontrollably, it is definitely time to replace your bearings. They say Timken is one of the world’s best bearing brands. Let’s find out if the Timken wheel bearing is worthy of the praises.
Timken wheel bearing features
- OE replacement
- Made from high-quality Timken certified steel
- Sold individually or in complete wheel bearing sets
- Comes with a heavy-duty seal
- Features pre-adjusted hubs that are serviceable
- Equipped with highly engineered raceway profiles
- Covered in a special proprietary surface finish
We tried the Timken wheel bearing on our road monster, which is a Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD, and here’s what we have to say:
- The Timken wheel bearing is highly compatible with the rest of our suspension system components. Its OE feature helped us a lot during the installation. We did not have any problems in terms of fit and compatibility. It was like the wheel bearing was especially made for our Chevy Silverado.
- Its pre-adjusted setting is perfect for performance optimization and longer maintenance intervals.
- The wheel bearing’s extremely precise internal geometry and specially engineered raceway profiles guaranteed optimal stress distribution, which allowed our Silverado to take in heavier loads than usual. The truck’s towing capacity also increased, and we had no problems in terms of handling and cornering.
- Its first-rate stainless steel material and special surface finish greatly enhanced the wheel bearing’s performance and durability. We are confident that our Chevy Silverado’s wheel bearing and hub assembly will stay rust-free for a long time.
- The Timken wheel hub bearing is a little more expensive than other wheel bearing brands'. But considering all the benefits our Chevy Silverado got from this bearing, it was still a great find.
- Another downer was the fact that the wheel bearing we purchased does not have any warranty privilege. However, with the quality of the Timken wheel bearing’s performance on our Chevrolet Silverado, we don’t think we need warranty coverage.
After a series of meticulous test-drives, the Timken wheel bearing proved to be worthy of all the commendations it received. Our Silverado glided with pride through the roughest roads in our state, and we did not encounter any glitch in the suspension system. The carrying capacity increased, but we didn’t have to worry about its effect on our gas mileage because our truck remained fuel efficient even with the heavier loads. There were no initial signs of wear even if the Silverado was repeatedly soaked in mud and exposed to different weather conditions.
As for the high price tag, we still think it’s worth every penny. They always say that “you get what you pay for,” and guess what? We did get what our money deserved. Even if we did not get any warranty perks, the Timken wheel bearing we bought for our Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD was definitely a great investment.