The Dos and Don'ts when Choosing a Window Latch
As much as your vehicle promotes convenience for you and your passengers, it also provides safety. One of its components that may be unnoticeable but keeps you safe is the window latch. It helps to keep your vehicle window sealed whenever you want it to be. This component is very helpful especially for children who tend to play with simple mechanisms in your vehicle. Because of its vitality, the window latch must be maintained at all times. But if you need to buy a new one for your ride, here are the essential things you must take into consideration:
- Know what type of window your vehicle has. This will help you to pick the compatible window latch for it. The most common types of vehicle windows include: (1) manual windows, (2) power windows, (3) child-safety windows, and (4) shatter-resistant windows.
- Consult your trusted mechanic and the service manual of your vehicle regarding the position where it is best to install the window latch.
- It is better to take into consideration which material you prefer upon choosing a window latch. This part comes in different variety of materials such as stainless steel, brass, and plastic vinyl. Keep in mind that the material you must be choosing should match the style or contour of your vehicle's window. It should also be very durable and resistant to corrosion.
- As much as possible, pick a window latch that comes with a complete package and not just a single unit. This is because the installation will be easier if you have the complete set of tools and materials that will be suitable for the process.
- Make sure that you pick wisely between an OEM and an aftermarket window latch. Remember that an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) window latch is made to be as good as the one you already have; however, many automotive shops can sell substandard OEM products. On the other hand, an aftermarket window latch can exceed or upgrade the quality of the original one; however, this type usually has no good warranty period.
- DON'T modify the window latch in any way. This can just get the new window latch damaged. Keep in mind that the window latch you must be buying should be easily fit and installed. If not, then it surely is not compatible to your vehicle's window.
- DON'T buy a window latch unless you are sure that it comes from a trusted brand or manufacturer. It is better to search for the product details before making a purchase, which usually includes its technical information, warranty period or return policy details, and possible customer reviews.
- DON'T make use of the screws and other fasteners from the old window latch especially if they are not in good condition anymore. That is why it is advisable to buy a window latch that has a complete kit so that you will be able to work with the suitable parts for it.