Just when everybody thought things are set in stone for the returning Ford Bronco, the automaker announces a slight postponement of its release.
Set to debut on July 9, the Blue Oval said in a statement that it will be pushing the official date of the reveal to July 13. The decision came after the company realized the previously announced date will coincide with OJ Simpson’s birthday.
In 1994, Simpson, a former football player, made the news when he tried to flee the police in a low-speed chase through Los Angeles while on his white Ford Bronco. He was charged with two counts of murder at the time: that of his ex-wife Nicole Brown and her friend Rin Goldman.
Following the earlier announcement, people were quick to express their opinions about the July 9 reveal of the highly-anticipated Bronco, particularly on social media platform Twitter.
Tanya Brown, sister of Nicole Brown Simpson, told the Detroit Free Press, “Is that on purpose? My first reaction was, ‘are you kidding me? This is funny?'”
Ford released a statement on Twitter in response to the backlash and clarified that the initial July 9 schedule was not deliberate.
“We are sensitive and respectful to some concerns raised previously about the date, which was purely coincidental,” Ford said.